Page 15 of 17 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 LastLast
    Cleveland Browns Cleveland Indians Montreal Canadiens
    Well, just to stay on topic..........

usatoday.com
    Browns' Josh Gordon reinstated on conditional basis
    USA TODAY Sports
    3-4 minutes

Published 6:41 p.m. ET Nov. 1, 2017 | Updated 6:53 p.m. ET Nov. 1, 2017

NFL Week 9: Breaking down three must-watch...

Josh Gordon has cleared a major hurdle in a potential NFL comeback.

The Cleveland Browns wide receiver was reinstated on a conditional basis from his indefinite suspension for multiple violations of the league's substance abuse policy, the team announced Wednesday. Gordon met with NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell in New York on Wednesday.

Gordon is eligible to practice with the team beginning Nov. 20 and can be placed on the active roster a week later. The Browns also could place him on the commissioner's exempt list for an additional week at that point.

"As emphasized at today's meeting, everyone - including Josh's teammates and coaches, the Browns' ownership and organization, the Program professionals and all of at the league office - want him to have every opportunity to resume his career and to be successful in the NFL," Goodell said in a statement. "Whether that happens, however, at the end of the day will depend on Josh. His commitment to sobriety and to reaching his goals in football and beyond will determine his success. It is ultimately up to Josh."

Browns executive vice president of football operations Sashi Brown did not divulge any immediate details about the team's plans for Gordon.

“We’ve been informed of the league’s decision to reinstate Josh," Brown said in a statement. "The personal well-being of all our players is of the utmost importance to us. We respect and commend Josh for taking the steps necessary to have the opportunity to return to the league. Josh will be in our building in the coming days and we look forward to having him back and sitting with him to discuss his future on our team.”

Gordon was suspended in Feb. 2015 for testing positive for alcohol. He was denied reinstatement on multiple occasions, including in May.

Gordon, 26, led the NFL in receiving yards in 2013 with 1,646 in 16 games. But he has played in just five games since then, none of which have come under second-year Browns coach Hue Jackson.

Being a "Conditional" agreement according to the Commissioner it looks like finally that we all can say that.....................the 'ball' is in Josh's hands, again and I hope for as long as he is a Brown. jmho

brownswire.usatoday.com
    NFL takes huge risk in reinstating Josh Gordon
    By: Jeff Risdon | 8 hours ago
    5-6 minutes

Josh Gordon is back..maybe. The troubled Cleveland Browns wide receiver has been conditionally reinstated from his suspension for repeated violations of the NFLís substance abuse policy.

For the next three weeks, Gordon will get a chance to get back to being a football player and proving he can handle the pressure. If he impresses enough, heíll be back on the field in Week 12 against the Chargers.

Gordon by all accounts has cleaned himself up. It appears sobriety has taken for him for the first time in his life. His come-clean video interview last month was honest, illuminative and sad watching him document his long and exhaustive history of daily substance abuse from an early age. Heís become a sympathetic figure, one everyone wants to see succeed.

I want to see Gordon succeed too, but Iím not thrilled heís getting the opportunity. Itís fantastic heís cleaned himself up and found sobriety, and at 26 years old heís got a full lifetime to celebrate his newfound clean living.

Iím one of those who believes Gordon didnít deserve another chance in the NFL. Eight strikes are more than enough opportunities to try and fail. Eight times since 2010, Gordon has failed.

The list:

Arrested (charges later dropped) at Baylor for misdemeanor possession of marijuana, 2010
    Kicked out of Baylor for failing a drug test, 2011
    Denied admission to Utah for failing another drug test, 2011
    Suspended two games in NFL for failing a drug test, 2013
    Arrested for DUI, 2014. This resulted in a one-year suspension, reduced to 10 games
    Suspended by Browns for violating team rules, which Gordon later admitted to being drunk and high, 2015
    Another NFL suspension for another failed drug test, April 2016
    Leaves Browns to readmit himself to a rehab facility while still under his latest suspension, August 2016

How many people would ever get even half that many chances after such consistent and endemic disregard of the rules? One of the reasons Gordon has failed at every turn is that people, including the NFL, have entitled him for far too long because of his obvious and abundant talent as a wide receiver.

Make no mistake, Gordon is a fantastic football player. His combination of size, speed, hands and coordination are rare, and he proved he can tie it all together successfully on the field. His 2013 season is one for the ages. It bought him enough credit to fail that many more times.

Every time heís been given a second chance, Gordon has proven it was a bad decision. He couldnít handle the responsibility. Regardless of his talent and likeability, that has to mean something. What kind of example is the NFL setting here? Fail to follow the rules (fair rules or not) habitually and keep getting chances as long as youíre a good enough player.

Thatís a benefit Iím not comfortable with. The NFL shouldnít be, either. If Gordon fails again, the blame isnít going to fall on the player. It will be the league which takes the brunt as an enabling force. In a culture where many are already openly angry with the NFL for social issue stances of both players and the league, letting a multiple-time repeat offender back only to see him fail again is a cannon shell in their ammo chest.

The NFL doesnít need that potential headache. Theyíre telling players, both current NFLers and aspiring talents in college and even high school, that if youíre good enough, weíll bend the rules for you. Tell me where thatís an acceptable course of action in todayís society. Itís the complete opposite of everything weíre programmed to teach our children.

Gordon has not earned the benefit of the doubt that he can live up to the rigors of adult life without chemical assistance. Seven times heís been given a second chance, and all seven times heís failed. Enough should have been enough, and it would have been more than enough if he werenít such a fantastic talent. Thatís not fair to anyone else who has seen his career abruptly terminated with even one DUI or failed drug test.

He is returning to an environment with the Browns that might be more chaotic than when he was last in Cleveland. This is a winless, witless organization which cannot even properly execute the paperwork on a trade. The league is trusting Gordonís fragile sobriety in their structure and support system, where the only constant is the failure to make the right decisions?

Nobody wants Gordon to fail. The redemption story is a great one, and I hope we get to write it as he reemerges as the alpha dog receiver he once was. Itís an alluring angle Iím sure the NFL considered in letting Gordon back once again. Itís also a shortsighted and unnecessary one with potentially disastrous consequences for both the NFL and for Gordon.

These above makes clearer why it was a "conditional reinstatement". I've been behind you most of the way and after reading the synopsis of all your indiscretions Josh, I've got to be asking myself why I had so much
    faith in you and still do. I hope you can prove you're worthy and deserved this final chance from Mr Goodell and the NFL and most of to the great sport fans in Cleveland.

Cleveland Browns Kent State Golden Flashes Auburn Tigers
    Bullshit. The NFL is taking no risk. If he screws up he's gone. It simply shows that the NFL controls these young men & will continue to.

Gosh Zip why don't you tell all of us straight out how you feel about Mr Goodell.

Quote Originally Posted by stabber27 View Post
    Gosh Zip why don't you tell all of us straight out how you feel about Mr Goodell.
    I would. But I would just be redundant.

Just saying, can't see any "huge risk" to a multi-billion dollar industry by letting one guy, whose only sin was abusing drugs & has complied with everything demanded of him, a shot at resuming his career. I see NO risk to the league for that. JG has all the risk. The league, none.
    Last edited by zipazoid; 11-02-2017 at 10:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by zipazoid View Post
    I would. But I would just be redundant.

Just saying, can't see any "huge risk" to a multi-billion dollar industry by letting one guy, whose only sin was abusing drugs & has complied with everything demanded of him, a shot at resuming his career. I see NO risk to the league for that. JG has all the risk. The league, none.
    Okay, was just having some fun with ya. I see where Mr Goodell might be in trouble with his bosses because of drop in TV ratings. One sponsor was very irate in how he felt about Goodell's job he is doing. Just a little scuttlebutt here to share with you, Zip. Can you just see Roger in the unemployment line.
    Last edited by stabber27; 11-11-2017 at 03:01 PM.

yardbarker.com
    Josh Gordon will report to Browns on Tuesday
    This article first appeared on Larry Brown Sports and was syndicated with permission.
    2-3 minutes

Josh Gordon will rejoin the Browns this week after a lengthy absence.

Ken Blaze-USA TODAY Sports

Last week, the NFL announced that Josh Gordon would be officially reinstated and eligible to return to the Cleveland Browns immediately for team meetings and individual workouts. He can then return to practice on Nov. 20 and will available to play on Dec. 3.

The first step in that process will take place on Tuesday with Gordon slated to report for the first time in over a year.

Gordon last played in 2014 and has spent much of the last three years either in rehab or serving various suspensions. However, anticipating his return this season, the talented but troubled receiver has been working at N.U.M.A. Speed in Gainesville, Fla., where heís focused on running and cutting using sand resistance.

Gordonís manager, Michael Johnson, has recently stated that the former second-round supplement draft pick is in ďthe best shape of his life.Ē

Although Gordon will not report to the Browns until Tuesday, general manager Sashi Brown will speak to the media regarding his return on Monday afternoon.

Hue Jackson says Josh Gordon will be ready to go at practice next week
    Posted by Michael David Smith on November 17, 2017, 9:54 AM EST

Browns receiver Josh Gordon‘s conditional reinstatement has allowed him to be in the facility for the last couple of weeks, but he hasn’t been allowed to practice. That will change on Monday, and coach Hue Jackson says he’s excited to get Gordon on the practice field.

“He’s doing well,” Jackson said of Gordon. “He’s here in the building every day, on time for everything, involved and big smile on his face. He’s a pleasure to be around.”

Gordon will practice the next two weeks and then be eligible to play for the first time on Sunday, December 3, when the Browns play the Chargers. From all indications, the Browns expect him to be ready to go.

It remains to be seen whether Gordon will be ready to be the kind of player he once was: He was one of the best players in the NFL in 2013, but he started the 2014 season with a 10-game suspension, didn’t play as well when he finally got on the field, and hasn’t played at all since 2014. If he can get back to 2013 form, the Browns have just added one of the best players in the NFL. But that’s a big “if.” Three years is a long time away.

I don't expect too much for the first 3 or maybe 4 games. I'll be happy if he's adjusted his personal life and is more mature, reliable, trustworthy and self-disciplined to continue where he left off. His inherent talents will take him the rest of they way to his final goal. And, then Sashi will probably let him go on FA and Washington will sign him.

cleveland.com
    Josh Gordon can start practicing with Browns teammates on Monday
    Updated November 16, 2017 at 8:53 PM;
    2-3 minutes

BEREA, Ohio -- Josh Gordon's solitary confinement is almost over.

Hue Jackson said expects Gordon to join the Browns in practice on Monday as scheduled after being limited to individual work since he rejoined the team Nov. 7.

"He's doing well," said Jackson. "He's here in the building every day, on time for everything, involved and big smile on his face. He's a pleasure to be around."

The Browns don't practice as a team on Monday, but Gordon will be permitted to catch balls from DeShone Kizer and work out with other teammates for the first time if they so choose that day. He'll join the full squad in practice on Wednesday, and can play the final five games, beginning Dec. 3 against the Chargers in Los Angeles.

To this point, he's only been able to work out with trainers and attend meetings after being conditionally reinstated on Nov. 1.

His teammates are eager to get him back, and he has already begun to make friends in the locker room.

"Me and JG talk every day,'' said Corey Coleman, who will return Sunday against the Jaguars after missing eight games with a broken hand. "He's back on track and I'm excited to play with him.

"He's excited,'' Coleman said. "He's happy to be here and he's ready to play football.''

Ricardo Louis is excited to learn from a Pro Bowler, one who led the NFL with 1,646 receiving yards in 2013 despite playing in only 14 games.

"It's the same thing as Corey,'' said Louis. "He's been out for a while, but I know he's been working hard to come back and he's in a great place right now, and we're just adding some more weapons to our offense.''

He said he hasn't spent much time with Gordon yet, but plans to beginning on Monday.

"He's doing his own thing as far as preparing himself to come back,'' said Louis. "We talk to him a little bit in the meeting room here and there. When he comes back ... it will be great to ask him questions about development and things you need to work on to elevate your performance."

Louis has dared to dream about what it will be like to be on the field with Gordon and Coleman.

"I'm definitely excited to get out there and see how these guys perform,'' he said. "It's going to be fun.''

I'll approach this event with cautious optimism and once JG reaches optimum performance all the other receivers should benefit. The one guy I think will benefit most will be either Kenny Britt or Coleman and as a dark horse Ricardo Louis if he can hang onto the ball. jmho
    Last edited by stabber27; Yesterday at 04:15 PM.

Since he will only play, at most, 5 games, we got him for another year on his rookie contract...which is amazing value for a guy who, even if he is only a fraction of what he was in 2013, is still a big improvement to our WR corps.

What do I want to see in those 5 games? At least glimpses of the 2013 form. I want to see an engaged, 100% invested player who goes all out every play. If you recall, the couple of games he played at the end of 2014, he was a non-factor & acted disinterested. That's can't occur anymore.

So assuming he is all that, then we got a weapon that can be relied on for 2018.