Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Cleveland Browns Cleveland Indians Montreal Canadiens

Another unemployed GM with Tennessee Connections

Jerry Reese - Wikipedia
    2-3 minutes

Jerry Reese (born July 22, 1963) is a former football executive and former player and coach. He served as the general manager of the New York Giants from 2007 to 2017. He succeeded Ernie Accorsi as general manager on January 16, 2007, having been with the Giants since 1994. He was inducted into the Tennessee Sports Hall of Fame in 2009.[1]
    Career[edit]
    Early Life and Career[edit]

Reese is a native of Tiptonville, Tennessee, where he played for the Lake County Falcons' 1980 state champion 1-A high school football team. He played for the University of Tennessee at Martin where he was later an assistant coach before taking a job as a scout for the New York Giants. From 2002 until becoming general manager in 2007, he was the Director of Pro Personnel for the Giants.[2]

The Giants organization pictured in front of the White House on April 30, 2008.[3]
    General Manager (2007-2017)[edit]

Reese participated in the Giants' success in the 2007 NFL Draft, which included the selections of Aaron Ross, Steve Smith, Jay Alford, Kevin Boss, Michael Johnson, Ahmad Bradshaw, and Zak DeOssie. Some of them played important roles in the Giants' Super Bowl XLII victory.[4] Prior to the start of Giants mini-camp in May 2008, Reese and the Giants were invited by President George W. Bush to the White House to honor their Super Bowl victory.[3]

Reese had his second Super Bowl victory in 2011 when the Giants won Super Bowl XLVI over the Patriots.[5]

In 2017, the Giants were marred by numerous player injuries and other known controversies. After a 2–10 record to start the 2017 year, Reese was fired by the Giants after serving 23 years in the front office, along with the firing of head coach Ben McAdoo.

Another Football guy who brought a Super Bowl to New York and also who happens to have Tennessee connections who is unemployed. I haven't heard the complete story why he was let go except that ownership wasn't too happy when they made the mistake of benching Eli and the Mannings weren't too happy either so, this could probably go against him and put him on the black list with Haslems IF they are shopping for a good football guy for front office to supplement the young guys they already have there trying to build a winner via the analytic route. I always like Reese and thought to have succeeded Giant's former Ernie Accorsi (also former Brown executive) the guy must have had a good rep as a team builder. I would place Jerry in 3rd place on the list of the other two guys I mentioned along with a few others here by the names of Scot McCloughan who was fired by Redskins and Dorsey, GM formerly of the Kansas City Chiefs.
    Last edited by stabber27; 12-07-2017 at 05:53 AM.

Cleveland Browns Ohio State Buckeyes NULL
    2 wins with very little salary cap room do to bad contracts will get you fired in the NFL.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Diehard For This Useful Post:

DawgUpNorth (12-07-2017)

Cleveland Browns Kent State Golden Flashes Auburn Tigers
    hmmm...an experienced GM with SB rings & Tennessee connections?

He'll be in Berea very soon.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to zipazoid For This Useful Post:

DawgUpNorth (12-07-2017)

Cleveland Browns Toronto Blue Jays Toronto Raptors
    Quote Originally Posted by Diehard View Post
    2 wins with very little salary cap room do to bad contracts will get you fired in the NFL.
    Not to mention agreeing with the benching Eli Manning for Geno Smith. For Geno Frikken Smith?!?!?!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to DawgUpNorth For This Useful Post:

zipazoid (12-07-2017)

This is getting tiresome though. We have had football GM's Clark, Davis, Savage, Kokinis, Lombardi, and Farmer since 1999. How has that worked out for us? Maybe, just maybe we should let this FO have another year or two because they have drafted WELL. I know some don't want to see it but there is talent all over the field now with this team.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to DawgUpNorth For This Useful Post:

ParmaDawg (12-07-2017)

Cleveland Browns Kent State Golden Flashes Auburn Tigers
    Quote Originally Posted by DawgUpNorth View Post
    Not to mention agreeing with the benching Eli Manning for Geno Smith. For Geno Frikken Smith?!?!?!
    I'm not going to hold that against Reese - if the NYG are like most any other team, the coach decides who plays, not the GM. Yeah, Reese may have "agreed" to bench Eli, but I would bet it was along the lines of, "Ohhhkay, but if this doesn't work, that's on YOU, Coach." You can't have public disagreement on who starts betw coach & GM.

I don't know Jerry. I think they both (Reese and Mcadoo) had to go to Mara with that plan. Otherwise why wouldn't Reese have simply fired McAdoo instead of Mara firing both of them? Yeah, I get that they are 2-10 but Reese could have made a really good argument that that is due to coaching and not player talent.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to DawgUpNorth For This Useful Post:

stabber27 (12-07-2017)

Cleveland Browns owner Jimmy Haslam makes his GM search harder -- Terry Pluto

Cleveland Browns owner Jimmy Haslam makes his GM search harder -- Terry Pluto
    Updated 12:48 PM; Posted 12:38 PM
    4-5 minutes

CLEVELAND, Ohio -- Maybe this will work for Jimmy Haslam.

Maybe the Cleveland Browns owner will find a quality football guy to come in and be willing to inherit the current coaching staff.

Haslam announced today that he was firing vice president Sashi Brown but keeping coach Hue Jackson for the 2018 season ... it's a strange way to do business.

Haslam has done something like this before.

He allowed former CEO Joe Banner be part of the 2013 coaching search. That ended up with Mike Pettine being hired.

Two weeks after Pettine came on board, Banner and general manager Mike Lombardi were fired.

Assistant general manager Ray Farmer was promoted to general manager, even though he had never interviewed Pettine during the search for a coach.

Now, it appears Jackson stays and the search is on for someone to be his boss.

I hope the plan is not to have Jackson run the entire football operation and have a player personnel director under him.

What has Jackson done as a head coach in Oakland or Cleveland to merit that type of power?

Brown being fired is no surprise. I thought the front office and coaching staff would both be fired after the season.

The New York Giants fired their general manager and head coach earlier this week.

Haslam thought he'd join the search party with New York for a new GM.

Both franchises supposedly have an eye on former Kansas City Chiefs executive John Dorsey.

But part of the attraction of the job would be for the new GM to be able to hire his own coach.

If Jackson is indeed cemented into the job, that makes a difficult search for a good person even harder.

WHY COMMIT TO JACKSON?

The commitment to Jackson for 2018 is very odd.

The only way it makes some sense would be if Haslam already has his big-time football person in place, and that guy has green-lighted Jackson as his choice to coach in 2018.

There are the never-ending Peyton Manning to run the Browns rumors. Would Manning agree to keep Jackson as coach, assuming Manning is coming to Berea?

Lots of questions. Few answers.

I don't see the necessity to commit to Jackson for 2018. It's not just his 1-27 record, it's how he's dueled with the front office.

Until the Browns hire a front office and coach who can at work out of the same chapter (forget the same page) of the same book, they will never win.

I also know Haslam can change his mind.

So often, he has said he won't make big changes ... and then he made big changes.

It's hard to know exactly what Haslam will do because he can change his mind so quickly.

ABOUT THE JOB

The new football man can thank Brown for coming into a good situation in terms of assets.

The team has five picks in the first two rounds of the 2018 NFL Draft. It has a ton of salary cap room.

It has some promising position players.

I keep thinking if Brown/Jackson had simply found a mediocre quarterback for this season, none of this would have happened.

The Browns would have won a few games. The pressure for big changes would not be so intense.

I'm in the minority of liking the general analytics approach for a beleaguered franchise such as the Browns. No one wants to hear this because the Browns are 0-12.

But they are in a good spot to dramatically improve next season with good moves in the draft and free agency.

For Brown, the problem came in picking the players ... not having too many picks.

Only the most rigid commitment to analytics means you always trade down. Having a pile of picks also allows you to trade up for a key position, such as a quarterback.

Brown lost his job because of the mistakes at quarterback. Jackson also must share some of the blame, at least when it came Robert Griffin III and some others.

And Haslam has to take the blame for all the front office turmoil that has happened since he took over in 2012.

Brown is the third GM-type he's hired and fired is the last five seasons.

Come and gone are Banner, Farmer and Brown.

Think about that ... three in five years with No. 4 on the way.

That also is something he needs to explain when talking to GM candidates -- and it won't be easy.

I prefer Dorsey over Wolfe, GB Packers. I think he's more experienced of the two but, I also think that Dorsey will get the Giants job. I'm guessing Jerry Reese's firing was not just because of the obvious (Eli's benching) but, that the Giants knew there were very talented GMs available and they wanted to get the jump on any possible competition such as the Browns. This I'm admitting is just a hunch or speculation on my part. We could end up with Wolfe after all. I can't see Reece if it is confirmed that he supported the benching of Eli to the O'Mara owners with their HC McAdoo.

Another thought to keep in mind is our draft picks available in 2018 which are great tantalizer for prospective General Managers and would be hard to turn down with all those top picks to work with in building a team. jmh Below is data re AFC North teams since 1999 with number of each teams GMS; HCs; & Super Bowl Wins.
    I used to know how to set up a table with the relative codes but has since forgot how to create a table. Couldn't fine any help in board area on this subject.
    Team GM HC SBWINS

Browns 8 9 0
    Steelers 2 2 2
    Ravens 1 2 2
    Bengals 1 3 0
    Last edited by stabber27; 12-07-2017 at 11:56 PM.

New GM Search...... Candidates

Here's a story on my favourite candidate for the time being and seems to be the current favourite. The story is from the Kansas City Star re Mr Dorsey as follows:

kansascity.com
    Why KC Chiefs fired GM John Dorsey: communication, management issues
    By Terez A. Paylortpaylor@kcstar.com
    12-15 minutes

The Chiefs have compiled a 43-21 record the last four years thanks to the work of coach Andy Reid and general manager John Dorsey, all while publicly and privately painting a picture of internal harmony and teamwork.

They managed to stay unified and on message even during tough times, like the NFL’s tampering investigation into the free-agent signing of Jeremy Maclin that led to fines and the forfeiture of draft picks.

But behind the scenes, the Chiefs’ front office did not always run smoothly under Dorsey. Team chairman Clark Hunt’s decision to fire Dorsey was fueled, in part, by concerns about his internal communication and management styles, according to multiple sources with knowledge of the situation who spoke to The Star on condition of anonymity.

As one of the sources said while describing how Dorsey had removed two front-office executives without much explanation: “John does stuff and doesn’t tell people why.” Another source said Dorsey’s management style “could wear on people.”

A message left with Dorsey seeking comment for this story was not immediately returned.

Dorsey’s firing was announced Thursday, the same day Reid received a contract extension. Both men had a year left on their contracts and report separately, but directly to Hunt. That structure will remain when a new GM is hired.

While sources have consistently maintained that Reid and Dorsey worked well together — “You never got the impression they were sparring,” one source told The Star — the two also had different approaches to their jobs.

While Reid has a reputation for being structured and process-oriented, Dorsey was described by those who know both men as looser.

“He goes with the flow,” one source said of Dorsey.

That style didn’t always mesh in situations outside of Dorsey’s undeniable strengths, picking and evaluating players. The other areas Dorsey oversaw were contracts and salary cap management — and the Chiefs have been in cap trouble for a while — in addition to the general, day-to-day management of the team.

“He’s not a big disciplinarian or big on chain of command,” a source said, “so people did what they wanted.”

“It’s more about his management skills,” another source added.

For instance, the typically stable Chiefs also made waves this offseason when Dorsey released director of football administration Trip MacCracken and director of pro scouting Will Lewis. Each man had been with the team for at least four years, and not only were their dismissals surprising, there weren’t many answers to be found, even inside the organization.

“Those decisions were totally John’s,” a source said. “That’s the kind of stuff he does.”

Sources also critiqued Dorsey’s management style, noting that while he was often friendly and jovial, the same tongue-in-cheek manner he used to win over most people over eventually wore on others.

“It could rub people the wrong way at times,” a source said.

Dorsey still has fans inside the Chiefs organization. They cited his passion for the game, constant availability and eye for talent as respected strengths.

“Loved working for him,” one source said. “Great dude.”

“He was always great to us …,” another source added, “You hate to see something like this happen.”

Dorsey also has a number of supporters across the league, as an overwhelming amount of league sources who dealt with him on a regular basis — approaching a dozen — told The Star.

“He was always a guy that would listen, was a pro, good to work with,” one league source said.

“One of my favorite people in 20 years in the business,” another source said. “Honest and straightforward. Man of conviction. Was shocked and sad to see the news.”

Multiple sources also called Dorsey a friend on a personal level, noting that it was not unusual for him to call just to say “hello,” even when on vacation.

“A consummate pro’s pro in negotiations,” one league source said. “Always up front and straight, and a super talent and football evaluator.”

Other league sources agreed with that notion, adding that Dorsey’s standing as an evaluator of talent remains peerless.

“He is a dyed-in-the-wool scout, loves the element of watching college players, loves breaking down film,” said Andrew Brandt, who spent 10 years as a Green Bay Packers vice president alongside Dorsey and writes for TheMMQB.com. “That always seemed like that’s what he was most happy, and most comfortable, doing.”

It’s a trait that, communication and management issues aside, many league sources believe will be difficult for the Chiefs to replace, especially on the heels of the club losing Dorsey’s talented and respected right-hand man Chris Ballard to Indianapolis five months ago. Ballard is now the Colts’ GM.

“I loved him,” one league source said of Dorsey. “Blunt, honest and a great talent evaluator. Losing him and Ballard in one offseason is insane.”

Brandt said he wouldn’t be surprised if the Chiefs prioritized talent evaluation, along with leadership and communication, with their next hire. The Chiefs are already over the projected 2018 salary cap, but there’s a widely-held belief around the league that whatever cap issues they have can be rectified in a year or two.

“We have this traditional version of an NFL GM coming from a scouting background, like John — and that’s the most popular GM model,” Brandt said. “Then there are a few coming from more of my background, which is from the financial side, about business and cap contracts. The third model is one Andy had in Philly, which is coach/GM.

“To me, the real underappreciated trait you want from a GM is leadership and communication, because the GM will be coming from one of those backgrounds and will need to communicate seamlessly with what he’s not an expert at. Teams sometimes rush to sign an expert in one area while maybe not taking into account the necessity for communication in other areas.”

http://www.kansascity.com/sports/nfl...158155634.html

As you can see by article there are some warning flags in hiring John Dorsey and to be considered in choosing him. The article seems to imply that he's a guy who doesn't like red tape and is fully confident in himself and his abilities to accept consequences for his decisions and isn't afraid to make tough decisions. He doesn't like to 'dilly dally' around and could have a big ego but, he does back it up with some erudite talent judgments and has been very successful in that area. Writer also mentions other areas such as
    communication and management could cause problems with sensitive co-workers and ownership as it evidently did with Kansas City's owner Hunt. My feelings on those areas are that they should all be ironed out immediately between ownership and candidate and hopefully come to an amicable agreement and partnership.
    I don't see John being a strong candidate for the Giants job if most is true in the above article; can't see the O'Mara family dealing with John's persona of lets say "You get what you hired....I will do it my way and get the job done, it's the only way I know how to work. And, I hope I haven't stepped on any one's toes by starting this thread; we shall see shortly if I have I'm sure. Such is the game.
    Last edited by stabber27; 12-07-2017 at 07:35 PM.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to stabber27 For This Useful Post:

tCC_Redrum (12-07-2017)

247sports.com
    Browns have done homework on Seahawks, Packers execs
    Josh Edwards
    2 minutes

The Cleveland Browns have done their homework on Seattle Seahawks co-director of player personnel Trent Kirchner as well as Green Bay Packers Director of Football Operations Eliot Wolf according to NFL Network's Tom Pelissero.

Kirchner had interviewed with the Detroit Lions, Indianapolis Colts, San Francisco 49ers and New York Jets over the past few years. He previously worked with the Carolina Panthers and Washington Redskins. His past has primarily been served in pro personnel. He would be a valuable asset as the Browns enter free agency with roughly $117 million in salary cap space.

Wolf has risen through the ranks of the Green Bay Packers since starting as a pro personnel assistant in 2004. He has worked under Packers General Manager Ted Thompson for years and has been viewed as a possible successor. He is the son of legendary personnel executive Ron Wolf, who won three Super Bowls over the course of his 38 year career with five teams. He was inducted into the Pro Football Hall of Fame in 2015.

It was previously reported that former Kansas City Chiefs General Manager John Dorsey is also under consideration.