Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    24/7 HS FB Commissioner The Brookster's Avatar
    Cleveland Browns Cleveland Indians Ohio State Buckeyes
    Quote Originally Posted by stabber27 View Post
    I would guess Williams would be gone then as Schwartz's background as a defensive mind might want his own guy in place of course being joined with the same defensive philosophy.
    My opinion, Stabbs, is not necessarily so. Please indulge me a minute here.

Schwartz has done this before, taking over a Lions' team that finished the previous campaign without tasting victory. He is intimately aware of the effort it will take to return this team to greatness. Because of that, I am sure he is aware that he can only devote so much time to the defense - and that probably will not be enough. So, I would think he would be campaigning for Gregg to stay.

Schwartz has been a HC before - and he is smart enough not to fall into the Hue trap, i.e. he is so intimately involved in one side of the ball that he becomes derelict in his duties as a HEAD COACH. He will have plenty to do elsewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by ParmaDawg View Post
    If Hue is gone, this team will never be anything. It will be the start of another cycle. Two years is not enough when you strip a team to nothing.

I am going to give you guys an analogy. I work in the construction industry. I am not a big fish in the game, but I am one small part of the "team". I worked on a project a few years ago that could have been great for all the contractors involved because we were using a newer technology to try to avoid problems that lead to cost over runs. It allowed us to "build the building and all of it's system virtually" so that any conflicts can be resolved before any real construction ever begins. Now here is where the analogy comes in. The project manager had met with us several times about the plan of attack on the construction and the phasing of the build. The overall structure of the building was in place (similar to the foundation the front office has laid with this team). Now, before the sub contractors really got started on the project they let the project manager go (this would be similar to letting Hue go now). So now, there is a new project manager who is unfamiliar with the project and the phasing that was set up by his predecessor. Now the rest of us are already working on the project ( we would be the rest of the "team" in this scenario). We already know what we are supposed to be doing so we continue hoping that the project manager catches up. But he doesn't, and instead of the general contractor giving the project manager an assistant or two (offensive coordinator, QB coach) they remove him from the project. Now we have a third project manager (who is more of a front office hack then a guy who knows the construction process) and he proceeds to push the project in directions not original intended and because of this disarray the rest of the sub contractors just start jamming the project with our own way of doing things because hell, the general contractor (team owner) isn't following the original plan anymore. Now the "team" is looking out for their own interests. And that's how it all came apart. I don't know how much my company alone lost all I know is that when a wrap up meeting was called and they asked for my input on what went wrong I did not hesitate to point to the GC and lay the debacle at their feet. My boss was not very happy with me (it almost cost me my job) but I wasn't going to take the blame for something that they f**ked up.

I hope I didn't ramble too much. But what I am getting at is, your views of Hue aside, you are not going to get a new "project manager" in here who doesn't have his own ideas on how this should work. If he is offensive minded he may gut the offense because hey, we don't have playmakers anyway right? And if he is a defensive minded guy, that could be the end of the defense (which is making strides). My suggestion is this and this only. Don't tear anything down. Add pieces. Tell Hue he HAS to find himself an OC and a QB coach. He can't do it all even if his ego tells him that he can. He might be able to do each job individually, but combined he just can't. And very few successful NFL head coaches do it all. Look at who is successful in the NFL right now and I bet you very few have a head coach that does it all. You simply can't.

Just my two cents.
    That's a good analogy, PD. I don't know why the original project manager was let go, but it should provide a cautionary tale of the perils of A.) - making a change for the sake of making a change; or B.)- making a change without a sound succession plan in place.

Every management transition will experience some kind of bumps - but if a sound plan is in place, those bumps should be minimal. I think we all agree, that what the Browns are doing on the field isn't working. But they really must map out a solid contingency plan for post-Hue.

A NEW DAY IS DAWNING!
    From Stabber's Browns' Bible
    In John we trust (12:7)

Cleveland Indians Cleveland Browns Pittsburgh Pirates
    The problem is, our "project manager is in over his head, and staying the course just to stay the course doesnt fix anything.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Cleveland Browns Kent State Golden Flashes Auburn Tigers
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheffie View Post
    The problem is, our "project manager is in over his head, and staying the course just to stay the course doesnt fix anything.

I'd have no problem staying the course if there was tangible evidence that the "course" was working. And it's not too much to ask, near the end of year two, to WIN A GODDAMN GAME. If you can't, change course.

24/7 HS FB Commissioner The Brookster's Avatar
    Cleveland Browns Cleveland Indians Ohio State Buckeyes
    Yup. What's the definition of insanity again???

Changing course does not mean blowing it up again

A NEW DAY IS DAWNING!
    From Stabber's Browns' Bible
    In John we trust (12:7)

Licensed Dawgs
    Cleveland Browns Ohio State Buckeyes Cleveland Cavaliers
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: Redrum1018
    Doubt Hue gets fired. I think the writing was on the wall with the McCarron trade attempt. Hue doesn't speak like he's on the hot seat either. I don't think anyone goes after this season unless they find a way to bring in Manning to run the show. 0-16 may change that, but for now I think we're staying pat.

Cleveland Indians Cleveland Browns Pittsburgh Pirates
    Quote Originally Posted by tCC_Redrum View Post
    Doubt Hue gets fired. I think the writing was on the wall with the McCarron trade attempt. Hue doesn't speak like he's on the hot seat either. I don't think anyone goes after this season unless they find a way to bring in Manning to run the show. 0-16 may change that, but for now I think we're staying pat.
    Hey stranger!! Good to see you!

Quote Originally Posted by zipazoid View Post
    Replacing the HC doesn't mean tearing anything down.
    When has it not?

Cleveland Browns Kent State Golden Flashes Auburn Tigers
    Quote Originally Posted by ParmaDawg View Post
    When has it not?
    What I mean is, if the front office is retained & you're simply bringing someone else in to handle the head coaching duties, that's not a tear-down. Unfortunately for us, each time we've replaced a head coach it's been pretty much a cleaning out of everything. I'm just saying it doesn't have to be like that.

Further, if your present HC is 1-27, what are you tearing down anyway? Losing?

When Hue is no longer coach.........

Personally I dont know if Hue should be fired or not.
    It seems to me that yet again the head coach and the FO are not on the same page.

If Hue is fired who is going to want to come here?
    Add the constant turnover to the unique FO structure and it might be very hard to find a coach.

Especially if Hues hints that the FO pays no mind to him with their personnel decisions.

If they do fire Hue they have to let Sashi pick the guy he feels is on the same page with his vision for the team.

Hallam needs to quit forcing GMs and HCs together, and let the GM get his guy.

As far my choice for a Hue replacement:
    I would have talked to Herm Edwards.
    A no nonsense guy, that still is able to connect with his players.

From there I just dont know.
    I guess I am still holding out hope Baltimore decides to replace Newsome and Harbaugh.
    And the Browns swoop in and sign them both.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by COMIGAR; 12-06-2017 at 10:11 PM.

Cleveland Browns Ohio State Buckeyes NULL
    I really liked the choice of Hue when he was hired. I truly thought he'd be a good coach to deal with a young team and thought he would be pretty innovative on offense....that was supposed to be his thing.

I could be wrong and maybe there just isn't any talent on this team but good coaches get players to exceed expectations and it's hard to find players on this team that even play up to expectations, let alone exceed them, and they are mostly on defense.

I also just don't see anything innovative about the offense unless stupid calls and questionable use of players is being innovative.

I've always preached stability but I'm ready to move on from Hue.
    I wouldn't mind giving the front office another year and stay the course in that regard.....but with a new HC.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Diehard For This Useful Post:

DawgUpNorth (12-07-2017)