Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    24/7 HS FB Commissioner The Brookster's Avatar
    Cleveland Browns Cleveland Indians Ohio State Buckeyes

When Hue is no longer coach.........

It is as apparent as the sun coming up in the morning that Hue Jackson will not be coaching this team next season. The reasons for that are too numerous for this thread. And I think the front office stays. The talented kids that they have brought in have been making progress - they are just painfully young and completely mismanaged by Hue.

So, this being a fan forum, let 'er rip. Who would you like to see as the next leader of the Browns?

I would like to see Sashi give these individuals a call and an interview.

My leader in the clubhouse would be former Detroit Lions head coach and current Eagles defensive coordinator Jim Schwartz.

I like the fact that he has had previous success as an NFL head coach. Also appealing is the fact that Jim was hired in Detroit immediately after Rod Marinelli was the leader of the infamous 0-16 Lions. Schwartz's first draft pick? A quarterback! Not just any QB - but the franchise saving Matt Stafford. Also with a stop as a DC in Buffalo, Jim has a very, very impressive resume.

He also has familiarity with this franchise - he broke into coaching here in 1993 with The Hoodie. I have to believe to the fire still burns within Schwartz - and he would love the opportunity to lead this talented young team out of the ashes.

My second choice is current Redskins assistant head coach and former Raider head coach Bill Callahan. He has a ton of NFL experience - and he has history with current Browns coach Al Saunders. I don't know how interested he would be, but due to his depth of coaching experience - not much would catch him off guard during a game.

I also have a long shot candidate. That would be current Packers head coach Mike McCarthy. If the Packers are foolish enough to listen to their fan base who are trying to point out all of McCarthy's faults in an injury riddled season - I would be blowing up his phone, and I would have my ass on a plane to Green Bay ASAP.

The final candidate that I want to give an interview to is former Toronto Argonaut head coach Scott Milanovich. Scott is currently in his first season with the Jacksonville Jaguars, serving as the quarterback coach. Want to know what is significant about that? Blake Bortles was floundering prior to Scott's arrival, Floundering so bad that there was legitimate concern if the Jaguars would part company with the former third overall pick. This year, Bortles is having - without question - his most successful campaign as a Jaguar.

For those who dabble into following the game north of the border, you know it is a very up tempo passing game dictated by the fact that you have just three downs to pick up ten yards for a first down. The field in the CFL is 10 yards per side wider than an NFL field. Scott won the CFL Coach of the Year in 2012.

Well, there you are. Anyone else have any ideas on these candidates or others?

A NEW DAY IS DAWNING!
    From Stabber's Browns' Bible
    In John we trust (12:7)

While Mike McCarthy would be a great option if it were available I wouldn't hold my breath. Yes the Stupid and the Spoiled part of the fan base here talks about firing him, the smarter heads understand what they have in him, and would not let that happen. Ted Thompson the GM might not last, either forced or voluntarily, but McCarthy won't be going anywhere. Besides, he's a Pittsburgh born & raised guy, likely wouldn't want to coach here.

I had an odd thought today, as I was reading the statistic that Hue Jackson has the NFL's worst 28 game record with one team in NFL history now. what if Haslam is going to let Hue continue, and not fire him, with the thought that Hue will either somehow start winning and turn things around, or he will continue to lose and become so disillusioned that he will simply resign, and then Haslam wouldn't owe him any buyout, and there isn't the perception of the owner again having no patience to let the coach turn things around. Haslam would be viewed as having extreme patience, and that would possibly make the position more attractive to more qualified coaches?

Cleveland Browns Ohio State Buckeyes NULL
    Schwartz would be pretty high on my list also.

Another guy I would talk to would be Darrell Bevell, OC, Seahawks. He's had a ton of success with his offenses in both Minny and Seattle. Loves to run the ball but his QBs have been very successful too.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Diehard For This Useful Post:

stabber27 (12-05-2017)

Cleveland Browns Kent State Golden Flashes Auburn Tigers
    Quote Originally Posted by Diehard View Post
    Schwartz would be pretty high on my list also.

Another guy I would talk to would be Darrell Bevell, OC, Seahawks. He's had a ton of success with his offenses in both Minny and Seattle. Loves to run the ball but his QBs have been very successful too.
    There ya go. I wouldn't get a HC with a defensive background like Schwartz...cuz what do you do with Gregg Williams? The defensive side is covered. Get a REAL offensive "guru" as the next HC. Our offense is a Chinese fire drill out there - no cohesion, no flow. Someone needs to be brought in that can maximize the assets we got on that side of the ball.

But you bring out a great point re Schwartz, Brooksie - his very first draft pick was Stafford. So maybe he isn't so much a "Defensive Coach" as he is, truly, a "Head Coach." I bet he has the wisdom to hire an OC...something Hue does not possess.
    Last edited by zipazoid; 12-05-2017 at 12:30 PM.

Cleveland Browns Toronto Blue Jays Toronto Raptors
    If we are talking offensive minded coaches .... there is Josh McDaniels who will likely get some calls but I doubt he'd want to coach in Cleveland. Bill Callahan with the Redskins, he took the Raiders to a championship and I think the Browns could pry him out of Washington. Schwartz would be a good candidate and Malinovich (thanks Brooksie) would be a great fit actually as a guy with experience but also not locked into any offensive scheme with his CFL & NFL background.

Other names that I'm sure will be brought up are Jim Mora who is out of a job, Mike McCoy of the Broncos, Mike Munchak, Jon Gruden, Greg Schiano .... we could always recycle Pat Shurmur! There is a long list of potential HC candidates out there. I'd go look at guys who have HC experience first before looking at the next hot coordinator because our team is so young and there are issues with young teams that experience would help with versus throwing someone without experience into.

Cleveland Browns Cleveland Indians Montreal Canadiens
    Quote Originally Posted by The Brookster View Post
    It is as apparent as the sun coming up in the morning that Hue Jackson will not be coaching this team next season. The reasons for that are too numerous for this thread. And I think the front office stays. The talented kids that they have brought in have been making progress - they are just painfully young and completely mismanaged by Hue.

So, this being a fan forum, let 'er rip. Who would you like to see as the next leader of the Browns?

I would like to see Sashi give these individuals a call and an interview.

My leader in the clubhouse would be former Detroit Lions head coach and current Eagles defensive coordinator Jim Schwartz.

I like the fact that he has had previous success as an NFL head coach. Also appealing is the fact that Jim was hired in Detroit immediately after Rod Marinelli was the leader of the infamous 0-16 Lions. Schwartz's first draft pick? A quarterback! Not just any QB - but the franchise saving Matt Stafford. Also with a stop as a DC in Buffalo, Jim has a very, very impressive resume.

He also has familiarity with this franchise - he broke into coaching here in 1993 with The Hoodie. I have to believe to the fire still burns within Schwartz - and he would love the opportunity to lead this talented young team out of the ashes.

My second choice is current Redskins assistant head coach and former Raider head coach Bill Callahan. He has a ton of NFL experience - and he has history with current Browns coach Al Saunders. I don't know how interested he would be, but due to his depth of coaching experience - not much would catch him off guard during a game.

I also have a long shot candidate. That would be current Packers head coach Mike McCarthy. If the Packers are foolish enough to listen to their fan base who are trying to point out all of McCarthy's faults in an injury riddled season - I would be blowing up his phone, and I would have my ass on a plane to Green Bay ASAP.

The final candidate that I want to give an interview to is former Toronto Argonaut head coach Scott Milanovich. Scott is currently in his first season with the Jacksonville Jaguars, serving as the quarterback coach. Want to know what is significant about that? Blake Bortles was floundering prior to Scott's arrival, Floundering so bad that there was legitimate concern if the Jaguars would part company with the former third overall pick. This year, Bortles is having - without question - his most successful campaign as a Jaguar.

For those who dabble into following the game north of the border, you know it is a very up tempo passing game dictated by the fact that you have just three downs to pick up ten yards for a first down. The field in the CFL is 10 yards per side wider than an NFL field. Scott won the CFL Coach of the Year in 2012.

Well, there you are. Anyone else have any ideas on these candidates or others?
    I would guess Williams would be gone then as Schwartz's background as a defensive mind might want his own guy in place of course being joined with the same defensive philosophy.

Cleveland Browns Cleveland Indians Montreal Canadiens
    Quote Originally Posted by DawgUpNorth View Post
    If we are talking offensive minded coaches .... there is Josh McDaniels who will likely get some calls but I doubt he'd want to coach in Cleveland. Bill Callahan with the Redskins, he took the Raiders to a championship and I think the Browns could pry him out of Washington. Schwartz would be a good candidate and Malinovich (thanks Brooksie) would be a great fit actually as a guy with experience but also not locked into any offensive scheme with his CFL & NFL background.

Other names that I'm sure will be brought up are Jim Mora who is out of a job, Mike McCoy of the Broncos, Mike Munchak, Jon Gruden, Greg Schiano .... we could always recycle Pat Shurmur! There is a long list of potential HC candidates out there. I'd go look at guys who have HC experience first before looking at the next hot coordinator because our team is so young and there are issues with young teams that experience would help with versus throwing someone without experience into.
    I've always like Munchak and could live with Gruden or Callahan. Shurmur might get a job next year depends how far Vikings go.

Cleveland Indians Cleveland Browns Pittsburgh Pirates
    I'm not a fan of Callahan, just on how he was run out of Oakland.
    I dont think Gruden wants to coach again, hes had better opportunities in the past that hes passed on.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

If Hue is gone, this team will never be anything. It will be the start of another cycle. Two years is not enough when you strip a team to nothing.

I am going to give you guys an analogy. I work in the construction industry. I am not a big fish in the game, but I am one small part of the "team". I worked on a project a few years ago that could have been great for all the contractors involved because we were using a newer technology to try to avoid problems that lead to cost over runs. It allowed us to "build the building and all of it's system virtually" so that any conflicts can be resolved before any real construction ever begins. Now here is where the analogy comes in. The project manager had met with us several times about the plan of attack on the construction and the phasing of the build. The overall structure of the building was in place (similar to the foundation the front office has laid with this team). Now, before the sub contractors really got started on the project they let the project manager go (this would be similar to letting Hue go now). So now, there is a new project manager who is unfamiliar with the project and the phasing that was set up by his predecessor. Now the rest of us are already working on the project ( we would be the rest of the "team" in this scenario). We already know what we are supposed to be doing so we continue hoping that the project manager catches up. But he doesn't, and instead of the general contractor giving the project manager an assistant or two (offensive coordinator, QB coach) they remove him from the project. Now we have a third project manager (who is more of a front office hack then a guy who knows the construction process) and he proceeds to push the project in directions not original intended and because of this disarray the rest of the sub contractors just start jamming the project with our own way of doing things because hell, the general contractor (team owner) isn't following the original plan anymore. Now the "team" is looking out for their own interests. And that's how it all came apart. I don't know how much my company alone lost all I know is that when a wrap up meeting was called and they asked for my input on what went wrong I did not hesitate to point to the GC and lay the debacle at their feet. My boss was not very happy with me (it almost cost me my job) but I wasn't going to take the blame for something that they f**ked up.

I hope I didn't ramble too much. But what I am getting at is, your views of Hue aside, you are not going to get a new "project manager" in here who doesn't have his own ideas on how this should work. If he is offensive minded he may gut the offense because hey, we don't have playmakers anyway right? And if he is a defensive minded guy, that could be the end of the defense (which is making strides). My suggestion is this and this only. Don't tear anything down. Add pieces. Tell Hue he HAS to find himself an OC and a QB coach. He can't do it all even if his ego tells him that he can. He might be able to do each job individually, but combined he just can't. And very few successful NFL head coaches do it all. Look at who is successful in the NFL right now and I bet you very few have a head coach that does it all. You simply can't.

Just my two cents.

Cleveland Browns Kent State Golden Flashes Auburn Tigers
    Replacing the HC doesn't mean tearing anything down.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to zipazoid For This Useful Post:

stabber27 (12-08-2017)