Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by zipazoid View Post
    Kirk Herbstreit does. He said Bama was the better team. And he would know. Where did he go to college?

We can go around & around on this. As I said, there's good arguments on both sides. As it landed - Bama 4, OSU 5. And I'm sure it was real close. Unfortunately, only the top 4 matter. So, certainl,y if it was OSU 4, Bama 5 then all is good. It wasn't so there's angst. Point being, expand the playoffs so we don't have this hair-splitting.

But back to FSU & that #2 ranking - they didn't just pull that out of a hat. There was enough evidence, based on the previous year's team plus the recruitment efforts plus who was returning to put them there. Disagree all you want, but they still beat the #2 ranked team.
    Preseason/early season rankings are complete conjecture. Yes you can always say so and so should be good based on last season.
    But every year teams that ranked high early end the year not ranked, and I ranked teams end up highly ranked.

While FSU may have been ranked 2 at the time, the season even early on showed they never deserved that ranking.
    The playoff committee never had FSU ranked.
    The pole/s that ranked them count for nothing with the playoff committee.

It just drives me nuts when people say so and so beat the #2 team in week 2 to try and bolster a teams argument. Especially when that team ends up unranked to finish the season.

The only ranks that count are the ones at the end of championship week.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cleveland Browns Ohio State Buckeyes NULL
    Kirk Herbstreit does. He said Bama was the better team. And he would know. Where did he go to college?
    He had OSU in the 4 spot up until their win over Wisconsin.....he didn't think it was dominant enough.
    I have a feeling the committee may have had about the same feeling. I told the people I was watching the game with that the Bucks needed to win big to to get the last spot before the game started.

I can see the arguments for both teams and don't really blame them for taking Bama this year. I do think if Barrett hadn't had to have knee surgery 6 days before the championship game and play with the knee brace and all they MAY have been able to make it more convincing for the committee and have gotten that 4 slot.

Just another good argument for expanding the playoffs.

Cleveland Browns Kent State Golden Flashes Auburn Tigers
    If Bama would have lost to the SEC equivalent to Iowa, like Vandy or Tennessee, then yes, I would be screaming for OSU to be in.

I'll say it differently - if OSU's loss would have been to Meatchicken in the Big House, then that equates to Bama losing to Auburn at Jordan Hare. In that scenario, again, OSU should be the pick.

As I said, it's a thin line & as such, there's little to separate them. What does is who each lost to. I know I keep harping on that, but again - all they had to do was beat Iowa. That's on them, not the selection committee.

If Bama would have lost to the SEC equivalent to Iowa, like Vandy or Tennessee, then yes, I would be screaming for OSU to be in.

I'll say it differently - if OSU's loss would have been to Meatchicken in the Big House, then that equates to Bama losing to Auburn at Jordan Hare. In that scenario, again, OSU should be the pick.

As I said, it's a thin line & as such, there's little to separate them. What does is who each lost to. I know I keep harping on that, but again - all they had to do was beat Iowa. That's on them, not the selection committee.
    Iowa is more on par with A&M or Miss. st than Vandy or Tenn.
    Iowa finished the season 7-5.

Again all I am saying if the teams are that close, than you have to go with the conference champion.

I am not discounting the Iowa loss, but I think too much was made about it.

Like I have stated I get the Iowa game plays into it.

But the committee has stated conference championships mean a lot.
    And have said that it is more about who you beat than who you lose to.
    Also the week before the championship game they committee said their was virtually no separation between teams 5-8.
    (Bama was 5, OSU was 8)
    So than how does team 5 not even play,
    And team 8 beats team 4 on a neutral field,
    After that team 5 becomes unequivocally better than team 8.

That is where my issue is with the whole thing.
    I am not upset Ohio State did not get in,
    I just feel Alabama only got in because they are Alabama.

And if not Ohio State, why not Wisconsin?
    12-1 similar strength of schedule to Alabama,
    Similar number of wins over top 25 opponents.
    Only loss by 6 points away from home to an opponent that is currently ranked higher than Alabamaís loss. And they only have a loss because they played in their conference championship game.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to COMIGAR For This Useful Post:

zipazoid (12-06-2017)

Cleveland Browns Kent State Golden Flashes Auburn Tigers
    Like I have stated I get the Iowa game plays into it.
    Cuz it wasn't just a loss, it was a humiliating, dominating loss. Iowa crushed them...giving up 55 points? A top team doesn't do that. Far as why not Wisconsin, I think at Big 10 West cupcake schedule plays into that.

This is a great discussion we're having, and it shows why beauty contests are so damn subjective. A valid case can be made for either team.

Cuz it wasn't just a loss, it was a humiliating, dominating loss. Iowa crushed them...giving up 55 points? A top team doesn't do that. Far as why not Wisconsin, I think at Big 10 West cupcake schedule plays into that.

This is a great discussion we're having, and it shows why beauty contests are so damn subjective. A valid case can be made for either team.
    Oh yeah, great debate.
    Thatís what makes college ball so intriguing.

So Georgia losing by 23 should have been left out also?

Thatís the thing I agree Whiskyís schedule was not very good, but it was on par with Bamaís.