Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Cleveland Browns Cleveland Indians Montreal Canadiens

Browns' Jamie Collins out for the season with an MCL injury

cleveland.com
    Browns' Jamie Collins out for the season with an MCL injury
    Updated November 13, 2017 at 3:09 PM;
    2-3 minutes

BEREA, Ohio -- Linebacker Jamie Collins' season ended on the kind of game-changing play the Browns brought him here to make.

He suffered a sprained or torn MCL during Sunday's 38-24 loss to the Lions when he swiped a pass from Matt Stafford, coach Hue Jackson announced Monday. He said he's not sure if the injury will require surgery.

"It's difficult when you lose one of your best players,'' said Jackson.

Collins suffered the damage with 10:02 left in the first quarter when he picked off the pass over the middle from Stafford to Golden Tate. Myles Garrett applied the pressure to force the pick.

It was the exact kind of synergy the Browns were hoping for from the two defenders.

"He's a big-time player,'' said Jackson. "When he got hurt, he was making a pick. He was on the cusp of making those kinds of plays regularly.''

Jackson said it's also unfortunate because it was the first time all season his defense was healthy, with players such as Collins, Garrett, Jabrill Peppers and Jason McCourty all on the field together for the first time.

Collins had also missed three games with a concussion, and started only six. He finished with 31 tackles, a forced fumble and the pick.

Linebacker James Burgess will replace Collins in the lineup.

The loss of Collins, a Pro Bowl linebacker, was taken hard by his teammates.

Related: DeShone Kizer suffers rib injury in 38-24 loss to the Lions

"It's frustrating,'' linebacker Chris Kirksey said after the game. "That's one of my better friends on the team. When you see something like that happen, especially after a big play like that, it's one of those things like, 'Man, we can't catch a break.'

"He does one thing and then some tragedy like that happens. It's frustrating, but he's staying encouraged, the team's staying encouraged and you've just got to keep fighting.''

24/7 HS FB Commissioner The Brookster's Avatar
    Cleveland Browns Cleveland Indians Ohio State Buckeyes
    Another casualty of the Lions game was RT Shon Coleman - now in concussion protocol. I will be stunned if he is released in time for the Jaguars game.

A NEW DAY IS DAWNING!
    Sashi 2017: "We laid the foundation - let the rebuild commence!"

Cleveland Browns Kent State Golden Flashes Auburn Tigers
    And the outrageous Browns bad luck continue. It's either a player sucks, or if they're good, they get hurt.

Except for the young guys getting more reps and experience the season is pretty much a write-off anyway. I'm looking forward to see much improvement the new guys have gained. Let's hope there aren't any more injuries and the guys on IR get healthy and ready to start next year. Especially Thomas, Collins and Coleman. We came very close to losing Kizer on Sunday with that blow he took. Could you imagine if he had been hit by one of the heavier hitters in the league. He would have thought a freight train had hit him. I'd wouldn't trust that Njoku again on that blocking scheme until he had more experience in blocking.

This is what happens when you draft a TE who was absolutely known as a receiving TE and a sub par blocking TE. I've seen Njoku make some nice catches for us but he just still seems to be a bit off track with receiving, hopefully, that gets fixed by seasons end and moving into next season.

Cleveland Indians Cleveland Browns Pittsburgh Pirates
    Quote Originally Posted by rab View Post
    This is what happens when you draft a TE who was absolutely known as a receiving TE and a sub par blocking TE. I've seen Njoku make some nice catches for us but he just still seems to be a bit off track with receiving, hopefully, that gets fixed by seasons end and moving into next season.
    It took Jordan Cameron three years to be ready....
    They knew he was a raw talent, and they stated so at the time of the draft.

Sent from my SM-G925P using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Cheffie; 11-15-2017 at 12:36 AM.

Cleveland Browns Kent State Golden Flashes Auburn Tigers
    Njoku was 20 when we drafted him.

Twenty.

He will learn.

I'm pretty sure the knock on Njoku is that he's never been a good blocker, if that's the case, it's not likely he will ever become a great blocker.

I would think Cameron was balanced and, at least, showed talent in both receiving and blocking, Njoku has really only shown talent at receiving, according to the little I've seen of him and everything I heard and read about him when he first was drafted.

Don't get me wrong, I don't dislike him, in fact, quite the opposite. I'm sure he will learn and I hope he gets better at every aspect of his game. I just think it's odd to draft a player that is good at one thing and hope they can do something else or be that balanced player that can do both receiving and blocking equally well.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to rab For This Useful Post:

stabber27 (11-16-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by rab View Post
    I'm pretty sure the knock on Njoku is that he's never been a good blocker, if that's the case, it's not likely he will ever become a great blocker.

I would think Cameron was balanced and, at least, showed talent in both receiving and blocking, Njoku has really only shown talent at receiving, according to the little I've seen of him and everything I heard and read about him when he first was drafted.

Don't get me wrong, I don't dislike him, in fact, quite the opposite. I'm sure he will learn and I hope he gets better at every aspect of his game. I just think it's odd to draft a player that is good at one thing and hope they can do something else or be that balanced player that can do both receiving and blocking equally well.
    This is where a scout and/or Front Office people with vision can project successfully how things should and do turn out due to the players potential upside. For example does his bone structure project ability to put on more muscle mass to develop into a more all-around TE who besides being a good target threat becomes an excellent blocker when called upon in 3 - 4 years time. jmho

Cleveland Browns Toronto Blue Jays Toronto Raptors
    Njoku is 21 years old and he wasn't asked to block in college. He'll get it and improve in that area. He just has to keep doing it and practising it.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to DawgUpNorth For This Useful Post:

Cheffie (11-15-2017)