Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: #28

24/7 HS FB Commissioner The Brookster's Avatar
    Cleveland Browns Cleveland Indians Ohio State Buckeyes

Hogan replaces Kizer - to no one's surprise.

It's not an indictment of Kizer - it's a rookie thing. I saw Trubisky make an inexcusable, game deciding interception on Monday night.

I am sure that DeShone will get another opportunity.

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/inde...incart_m-rpt-1

A NEW DAY IS DAWNING!
    Sashi 2017: "We laid the foundation - let the rebuild commence!"

Cleveland Browns Kent State Golden Flashes Auburn Tigers
    He most certainly will get another opportunity. But he needs to sit down for a little while, take a deep breath. He's had an awful lot thrown at him in a very short period & got thrown into the fire with less than optimal results. So sit back & reflect, watch the tape, improve. I'm certain he will.

Starting Hogan is the right decision.

Wonder if they'll activate Kessler?

I would - because I think it is more important to allow Kizer time to decompress for a couple of games, recharge and then reload.

A NEW DAY IS DAWNING!

While I agree that it's the right move, Kizer should sit and Hogan should play, I'm leaning towards my original thoughts about us drafting Kizer to begin with.

All the sitting, decompressing, and recharging in the world still may not be enough to help him get better. After all, his own coach didn't feel he was ready for the NFL. The proof, is not just his words, but Kizer was an average QB at Notre Dame. Is it logical to think an average college QB can be a great NFL QB?

I see a more athletic version of Trent Dilfer. Yeah, you can say Dilfer got a Super Bowl, due to having a defense that was lights out dominating. While our defense is fairly close, still needing a few pieces and most certainly depth, it's a shaky plan hoping the D can carry your team, it's really only been done 2 or 3 times.

I guess my point is that I'd still take a QB high in the 2018 draft along with some WR's. I'm certain Kizer will get another chacne but I'm not gonna hold my breath on him getting better.

Eh, I don't really care what his college coach had to say. Not at this point...he's no longer that player.

But we will see. I am sure he will see the field again this year. Let's see if there's an improvement.

I don't know, I tend to think a lot of talent is what it is by the time they are done with college. Example, Peyton Manning, great during the regular season, not so good in the post season, that applied to both college and the NFL. Yes, he did win two Super Bowls, but his general post season play was not viewed as good. However, I'd be happier than a pig in poop if Kizer (or any QB) could lead the Browns to 2 SB wins.

I hope Kizer does improve, all I'm saying is I'd be prepared for a worst case scenario come the 2018 draft.

I don't know about that...he's 21 years old. Not even close to his potential yet.

Not to say he will blossom into a good NFL QB...just saying that he has a lot more developing ahead of him.

And absolutely, with 5 picks in the first two rounds (and if we keep losing, the top pick), if Kizer doesn't improve, we get one in the 2018 draft.

That's the point to remember - Kizer is just 21 years old. He has soooooooo much maturing to do. Like I posted earlier, Trubisky made a critical error on Monday night that he really could not make - and it cost the Bears the game. Does he suck? Of course not - he is just woefully inexperienced playing against grown assed men. It's a rookie thing. This little sit down will be so good for Kizer in the long run.

That being said, I MUST consider taking a QB high in round 1 next season. If they both show signs of NFL level talent - trade one of them to shore up another area of the team.

A NEW DAY IS DAWNING!

Cleveland Browns Ohio State Buckeyes NULL
    Quote Originally Posted by rab View Post
    While I agree that it's the right move, Kizer should sit and Hogan should play, I'm leaning towards my original thoughts about us drafting Kizer to begin with.

All the sitting, decompressing, and recharging in the world still may not be enough to help him get better. After all, his own coach didn't feel he was ready for the NFL. The proof, is not just his words, but Kizer was an average QB at Notre Dame. Is it logical to think an average college QB can be a great NFL QB?

I see a more athletic version of Trent Dilfer. Yeah, you can say Dilfer got a Super Bowl, due to having a defense that was lights out dominating. While our defense is fairly close, still needing a few pieces and most certainly depth, it's a shaky plan hoping the D can carry your team, it's really only been done 2 or 3 times.

I guess my point is that I'd still take a QB high in the 2018 draft along with some WR's. I'm certain Kizer will get another chacne but I'm not gonna hold my breath on him getting better.
    He was the 4th player we selected in the draft......he was worth that gamble at that point even if he never does pan out. I would expect him to make a pretty big jump next season like many QBs do their 2nd year.....problem is we may have a number 1 pick that he will have to beat out by then.

Browns announce Kevin Hogan will start, DeShone Kizer to be backup
    Shalise Manza Young
    Shutdown CornerOct 11, 2017, 9:02 AM

Patience in a rebuilding process or developing a young quarterback only goes so far, especially when there are jobs on the line.

The 0-5 Cleveland Browns announced on Wednesday morning that they will start second-year quarterback Kevin Hogan this week as the team travels to Houston to face the Texans. Rookie second-round pick DeShone Kizer, who started the first five games, will be his backup.
    Browns quarterback Kevin Hogan will start this week for Cleveland, and likely for the foreseeable future. (AP)

“I’ve made the decision to start Kevin this week,” coach Hue Jackson announced in a release. “We’ve liked what Kevin has been able to do within our offense when he’s been in there and he will start on Sunday because that’s what we feel is best for our team at this point in time.

“This does not change the way we feel about DeShone going forward,” Jackson said. “He’s worked extremely hard and still very much has a bright future. Right now, it’s better for him and his development to back up Kevin.”

Kizer has completed just over half of his 159 pass attempts, with three touchdowns and nine interceptions.

Hogan, a fifth-round draft pick last year out of Stanford, becomes the 28th quarterback to start a game for the Browns since their rebirth in 1999. This Sunday will be his first career start.

Hogan played the second half last week against the Jets and completed 16-of-19 passes for 194 yards, two touchdowns and an interception.

https://sports.yahoo.com/browns-anno...130259776.html