Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast
    Cleveland Browns Kent State Golden Flashes Auburn Tigers
    Yeah duh...I just realized that. We're on the hook for 2017 but not for future contract years if we cut him after the 2017 season. I'm a little slow on the uptake this morning lol.

24/7 HS FB Commissioner The Brookster's Avatar
    Cleveland Browns Cleveland Indians Ohio State Buckeyes
    Regarding Cam Erving - As far as I am concerned, this was his last shot to prove he merited a spot on the final 53. And it was an epic fail. I think the plan going in was to see if he has a chance to be the "swing tackle" backup. Not only did that plan blow up in the coaches faces, Cam looked absolutely clueless when he was out there.

If Sashi can't work his magic and find someone to take this disaster off our hands, I say release him today and give the practice and game reps to some who actually may be worth a shit. It's clear that Shon Coleman and Joe Thomas are your starters, and between Rod Johnson, Zach Sterup, and others - a competent back up should emerge.

A NEW DAY IS DAWNING!
    Sashi 2017: "We laid the foundation - let the rebuild commence!"

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to The Brookster For This Useful Post:

Chillzilla (08-12-2017), DawgDay99 (08-12-2017), zipazoid (08-12-2017)

Cleveland Browns Toronto Blue Jays Toronto Raptors
    Here's Hue's comments about Erving the day after teh game.

On if it is tough for OL Cam Erving to play LT when he is competing for the RT position, given it appeared he struggled at LT:
    “Oh, it is tough. I think there were a couple plays that Cam wishes he had back, but when I watched the tape, I didn’t see… I was expecting the same thing that you guys saw, but when I watched the tape, it wasn’t as bad as I think we all thought. Things are never as bad as you think they are, and they are never as good as you think they are. I thought he did some really good things. There were a couple times where he has to replace his hand and put his hand in a better spot, but he battled. Early in the game, there were some plays that he missed, but he did some good things last night, as well.”
    http://www.clevelandbrowns.com/news/...a-08c6b4c16047

Now I know he doesn't just want to call his players out directly but this is strange to me. If a 3rd year player still doesn't know where to put his hands and where his feet should be we shouldn't even be talking about him. Where Hue says moving from one oline position to another is difficult guys like Tretter and Zeitler have said it different but still oline, you block the guy in front of you for as long as you can. Cam still can't seem to master that simple thing. Maybe he is one of those guys that looks good in practise. But we all could see it and I have no idea how it could look better when watching the tape in detail. He simply missed blocks and missed his assignments.

Just the fact that, here he is competing for the Right Tackle job & they didn't even play him in the position he is competing at but instead put him at LT since Joe Thomas earned a night off really says it all - they have given up on him at RT & were only using him to give a star a rest.

Now, there are three more preseason games, and maybe they will do something with him before the first cut-down (which I believe comes between the 2nd & 3rd games) like try him back at RT, but again...he practiced all camp at RT, but in the first game...they didn't even want to look at him there.

He's gone.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to zipazoid For This Useful Post:

DawgDay99 (08-12-2017)

Cleveland Browns Ohio State Buckeyes NULL
    Quote Originally Posted by zipazoid View Post
    Just the fact that, here he is competing for the Right Tackle job & they didn't even play him in the position he is competing at but instead put him at LT since Joe Thomas earned a night off really says it all - they have given up on him at RT & were only using him to give a star a rest.

Now, there are three more preseason games, and maybe they will do something with him before the first cut-down (which I believe comes between the 2nd & 3rd games) like try him back at RT, but again...he practiced all camp at RT, but in the first game...they didn't even want to look at him there.

He's gone.
    He has been moved around a lot every since he was drafted. I was happy that I thought they were going to keep him at RT this camp and give him a shot to earn that spot....but they are already moving him around again. Not trying to make excuses for him but it doesn't make it easy.

Zip....there are no more cut down days until after the preseason now.

Oh, they don't go down to 75 then 53? Didn't realize that.

Then he's got 3 more games to show something, and I certainly understand that moving a guy around doesn't do him any favors (as opposed to just playing a single position), but I think it's more a matter of, 'Is there ANYwhere this guy can play?' - It's desperately finding something redeeming about him.

Again, he's played RT the whole camp. The first game of the year, they don't even play him there. That tells me they've given up on him at RT. We know he can't play Center, and he failed miserably at LT. Can he be a backup Guard to Zeitler ot Bitonio?

Yeah I know. Stop laughing.

Cleveland Browns Ohio State Buckeyes NULL
    new rule this year.....don't have to make any cuts until sept.2.

I've always thought he was best suited for RT and thought maybe we could salvage a 1st round pick if they just quit messing with him and left him there.......obviously he hasn't stepped up and TAKEN the job or they probably would have put someone else in at LT to give Thomas the night off. Like I said......I guess it's just me hoping we could find a way to salvage that 1st round pick.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Diehard For This Useful Post:

zipazoid (08-12-2017)

Here's something interesting - our depth chart, per ESPN:

http://www.espn.com/nfl/team/depth/_...eveland-browns

Erving isn't even listed at JT's backup - it's Drango. They got Erving as the starter at RT.

So why didn't they start Drango for JT? Is Drango hurt?

This is getting weird now. Erving's the starter at RT but he didn't even PLAY at RT, but instead they put him out of position and STARTED him at that position?

Eh, it's the first preseason game, so I go back to, they were experimenting with trying to find some place the dude can play.

And btw, this also helps explain why Osweiler & the offense in general struggled in the first half against New Orleans - the run game wasn't very effective either.

Cleveland Browns Ohio State Buckeyes Michigan State Spartans
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Bill Gorgonzola PSN ID: ChilllZillla
    ESPN's depth chart. It's not accurate.
    Back, but did I ever truly leave?
    "Johnny Idiotface over there is never going to bring you a title!" -Seth Rollins, the best in the world.

Cleveland- home to the dumbest self appointed "smartest fans in the NFL!"

Quote Originally Posted by Chillzilla View Post
    ESPN's depth chart. It's not accurate.
    lol no kidding. Said Erving was the starter at RT & he didn't even play there.

I checked the team's website but they didn't have a depth chart available, so I just went with the first one I found - ESPN.
    Last edited by zipazoid; 08-12-2017 at 05:39 PM.