Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    24/7 HS FB Commissioner The Brookster's Avatar
    Cleveland Browns Cleveland Indians Ohio State Buckeyes
    Quote Originally Posted by zipazoid View Post
    Yeah, I admit comparing it to the 1974 Steelers was over top. So was comparing Peppers to Polamalu for that matter.

But the potential for both is there. Lots of ifs, but IF these players are as good as their tape & are coached effectively, we just drafted our core of players for the next decade - there's 6 immediate starters: Garrett, Peppers, Njoku, Ogunjobi, Brantley & Wilson (once he recovers from his injury). Shit a 7th in Gonzalez if you want to count him. That in itself is a wildly successful draft. Now factor in Kizer - if he turns out to be our answer at QB long-term...name me a better draft than that.

I know I'm a little loco in my support for what the team does. And that makes me ripe for criticism from those whose scars haven't healed from past disasters. Whatever. Way I see it, my opinion is just as valid as someone who says, 'They suck, and will continue to.'

At least I have some rationale behind my opinion.
    Really? There's a shocker.... LOL

After having had some time to digest this pick, I have come up with this summary.

Im my mind, if the accusations were credible - he would have been arrested and charged already. The evidence that was released supports that theory. Sounds like the accusing party was drunk off their ass, and can't really remember what happened. You couple that with the stories coming from that camp are conflicting - and then the cherry on top is lack of physical evidence of an assault. From Brantley's camp, all statements were consistent and believable.

In light of all that, I agree the correct decision was made to close the investigation. That took some guts by the State's attorney - in light of it being a high profile case, and the sensitivity of violence against women.

Now, Caleb - learn a lesson here. Try not to put yourself in this position again where stories like this can be floated against you. Don't kick a gift horse in the mouth.
    Last edited by The Brookster; 05-18-2017 at 03:48 PM.

A NEW DAY IS DAWNING!
    Sashi 2017: "We laid the foundation - let the rebuild commence!"

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to The Brookster For This Useful Post:

FrostDawg231 (05-18-2017), t~dawg (05-19-2017), zipazoid (05-18-2017)

4. The Following User Says Thank You to zipazoid For This Useful Post:

FrostDawg231 (05-18-2017)

Cleveland Browns Kent State Golden Flashes Auburn Tigers
    Hey looky here. More good pub.

Decisions on Jason McCourty, Caleb Brantley give Browns a good week
    play

12:06 PM ET
    Pat McManamon
    ESPN Staff Writer

The Cleveland Browns had a good week, which isn't something that's often said about this team, especially when NFL life meanders by in May.

This week, though, the Browns got better through a decision they made and a decision made by a State Attorney in Florida.

The decision by William Cervone not to pursue charges against defensive tackle Caleb Brantley, the Browns' sixth-round pick, brings some validity to the team's decision to draft him. Had Brantley been convicted, there would have been criticism. Instead, the team evidently had good information that made them comfortable enough to use a sixth-round pick on a guy with second-round talent.

The State Attorney's statement has a thorough explanation for charges not being brought. Browns vice president of football operations Sashi Brown pointed out in his statement that Brantley will have to "grow as a person from this situation."

"As we have previously discussed, the allegations made regarding the incident were not something we take lightly," Brown said. "Caleb understands that we have an expectation and standard for every member of our organization."

Brantley does not leave Florida with the reputation of a choir boy, but he has the chance to build a new impression in Cleveland. At this point, he is a member of the Browns' defensive line, a talented player at an important position. He's quick and agile, both important elements in defensive coordinator Gregg Williams' aggressive scheme.

He joins Larry Ogunjobi as two additions to the interior of the defensive front, which suddenly is looking like a strong group. Ogunjobi, Brantley and Myles Garrett came in the draft to join Danny Shelton, Emmanuel Ogbah, Jamie Meder, Carl Nassib and Desmond Bryant, returning from injury. That's a fair amount of talent that should allow the Browns to use groups effectively, and to rotate players to keep them fresh.

It has to happen on the field, but the potential is there.

http://www.espn.com/blog/cleveland-b...eek-for-browns

Cleveland Browns Toronto Blue Jays Toronto Raptors
    It's Pat McManamon. He's usually ok in his articles.

Cleveland Indians Cleveland Browns Pittsburgh Pirates
    Interesting article, brings up some pretty solid points.

http://nflspinzone.com/2017/05/25/cl...ntley-a-steal/

Sent from my SM-G925P using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Cheffie View Post
    Interesting article, brings up some pretty solid points.

http://nflspinzone.com/2017/05/25/cl...ntley-a-steal/

Sent from my SM-G925P using Tapatalk
    Wow. With that kind of scouting report, why was he considered a 2nd/3rd round pick? He sounds pretty average.

Cleveland Browns Ohio State Buckeyes Michigan State Spartans
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Bill Gorgonzola PSN ID: ChilllZillla
    Wow. With that kind of scouting report, why was he considered a 2nd/3rd round pick? He sounds pretty average.
    Glimpses of greatness, which is what most have been saying about him from the start. He's typically an average player, but he shows signs of being incredibly disruptive when he shows up.
    Back, but did I ever truly leave?
    "Johnny Idiotface over there is never going to bring you a title!" -Seth Rollins, the best in the world.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Chillzilla For This Useful Post:

zipazoid (05-26-2017)

Licensed Dawgs
    Cleveland Browns St Louis Cardinals Chicago Blackhawks
    Quote Originally Posted by Chillzilla View Post
    Glimpses of greatness, which is what most have been saying about him from the start. He's typically an average player, but he shows signs of being incredibly disruptive when he shows up.
    Exactly, motor is the concern not the talent.

If anyone is going to get that motor going its Williams, Brantley has all he needs here to be successful, up to him to put it together.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FrostDawg231 For This Useful Post:

Chillzilla (05-27-2017), zipazoid (05-27-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by FrostDawg231 View Post
    Exactly, motor is the concern not the talent.

If anyone is going to get that motor going its Williams, Brantley has all he needs here to be successful, up to him to put it together.
    Then it sounds like, at the very least, he can be a situational player. Doesn't sound like an every-down player.

The other observation I have is, wow - I never realized how low of a bar it is to be drafted high in the NFL - just play for a football factory school & show flashes of dominance interspersed with long periods of ordinary. And don't get arrested.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to zipazoid For This Useful Post:

FrostDawg231 (05-28-2017)

Cleveland Browns Ohio State Buckeyes Michigan State Spartans
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Bill Gorgonzola PSN ID: ChilllZillla
    Then it sounds like, at the very least, he can be a situational player. Doesn't sound like an every-down player.

The other observation I have is, wow - I never realized how low of a bar it is to be drafted high in the NFL - just play for a football factory school & show flashes of dominance interspersed with long periods of ordinary. And don't get arrested.
    When there's only 20-40 real studs in any said draft, that's what you get with 7 rounds and 32 teams. Not a lot of talent to go around. That's why finding gems is so huge.
    Back, but did I ever truly leave?
    "Johnny Idiotface over there is never going to bring you a title!" -Seth Rollins, the best in the world.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Chillzilla For This Useful Post:

FrostDawg231 (05-28-2017), zipazoid (05-27-2017)