Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Kessler in 2016

24/7 HS FB Commissioner The Brookster's Avatar
    Cleveland Browns Cleveland Indians Ohio State Buckeyes
    John Taylor never caught too many 60 yard bombs from Montana - but he sure as hell took a shit ton of 20 yard slants to the house..........

(GW drive in the Super Bowl versus the Bengals come to mind?)

We CAN win with this kid.

A NEW DAY IS DAWNING!
    Sashi 2017: "We laid the foundation - let the rebuild commence!"

2. The Following User Says Thank You to The Brookster For This Useful Post:

zipazoid (05-16-2017)

Cleveland Browns Kent State Golden Flashes Auburn Tigers
    I don't see a single throw over 20 yards on this drive -

Give me a QB that is laser accurate within 20 yards of the LOS and I will kick your ass eight days out of seven.

Oh and just for shits and giggles, we have an outside receiver that excels as a slant receiver too, and we just signed the leading WR for YAC in the NFL last year.

We will be fine.
    Last edited by The Brookster; 05-16-2017 at 04:14 PM.

A NEW DAY IS DAWNING!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to The Brookster For This Useful Post:

zipazoid (05-16-2017)

Cleveland Browns Kent State Golden Flashes Auburn Tigers
    Quote Originally Posted by The Brookster View Post
    Give me a QB that is laser accurate within 20 yards of the LOS and I will kick your ass eight days out of seven.

Oh and just for shits and giggles, we have an outside receiver that excels as a slant receiver to, and we just signed the leading WR for YAC in the NFL last year.

We will be fine.
    AND we signed two top free agents for the OL to give Kessler the time to execute.

So add it all up - he was 92.3 QBR as a rookie under siege most of the time. Now everything around him has been upgraded.

Quote Originally Posted by zipazoid View Post
    The only question I have for anyone who thinks he can't succeed is, why not? Give me your argument. I've read some stories that say he's a "career backup" at best...why? Tell me what you saw in 2016 - his ROOKIE YEAR I need to remind - that makes one conclude that? He held onto the ball too long? Shit, name a rook QB who doesn't do that. He can't throw it 60 yards on a rope? Okay fine. He can't. So that eliminates one half of one percent of the plays from his repertoire. Since he can't throw the long ball teams will crowd the LOS? Corey Coleman, David Njoku & Duke Johnson are the answers there.

He's smart, accurate & protects the ball. If you want a pro equivalent, Joe Montana comes to mind.
    I'd like to point out that most of the time when Tom Brady is engineering a fast paced scoring drive he is not doing it with 60 yard bombs. He is doing it with quick routes under 20 yards and moving the chains. It seems to work rather well for the Patriots.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ParmaDawg For This Useful Post:

The Brookster (05-16-2017), zipazoid (05-16-2017)

Cleveland Browns Toronto Blue Jays Toronto Raptors
    Speaking of Brady, here is something he posted in March before the draft.

I found my combine shirt from 17 years ago and it got me thinking. This is what they said about me then..... Poor build, Skinny, Lacks great physical stature and strength, Lacks mobility and ability to avoid the rush, Lacks a really strong arm, Can’t drive the ball downfield, Does not throw a really tight spiral, System-type player who can get exposed if forced to ad lib, Gets knocked down easily As @edelman11 always reminds me ... "You can prove em right or you can prove em wrong!" Good luck to all of you this weekend!!
    The highlight is mine not his.

How's that lack of a strong arm and inability to drive the ball down field working out for Tom?

Before anyone get's too excited I am NOT suggesting that Kessler is the next Brady. Just pointing out that sometimes some of those measurables aren't as important as they are made out to be and that good coaches can accentuate the players strengths and hide their weakness to make then successful.

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to DawgUpNorth For This Useful Post:

FrostDawg231 (05-17-2017), ParmaDawg (05-17-2017), zipazoid (05-17-2017)

Of course they are, DUN. Because we all know drafting is such an exact science....... LOL!

Great find, BTW.

A NEW DAY IS DAWNING!

12. The Following User Says Thank You to The Brookster For This Useful Post:

DawgUpNorth (05-17-2017)

Another point to bring up.

Yes, the Browns had a massive OL upgrade in the offensive line.
    We signed a skill position player that is a third down conversion machine.

The draft was very heavy on upgrading the defense.

All these factors will help Cody. But the biggest factor that will help Cody is that 2017 will be his sophomore NFL campaign. And the 4 drafted wideouts last year. The game is no longer an unkown entity to them. They know what to expect. For all the second year players - a big step forward is expected. It is the year when - instead of reacting with the deer in the headlights look to what happens on the field, you begin to anticipate what will happen, and execute accordingly. For that reason, the biggest jump in player development is usually between year 1 and 2.

I have a real growing sense of confidence that Cody can get the job done in 2017 and beyond.

If Ricardo Louis has the season I think he will have, that will force defenses to honor him as a receiving threat. Coleman, i think, shows why the Browns were so high on him last year.

A NEW DAY IS DAWNING!

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to The Brookster For This Useful Post:

FrostDawg231 (05-18-2017), zipazoid (05-18-2017)