Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Cleveland Browns Ohio State Buckeyes Michigan State Spartans
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Bill Gorgonzola PSN ID: ChilllZillla

Chill's Final 2017 Mock Draft

So I've seen all the tape I need to and with the beginning of free agency over with I feel safe in posting my final mock draft.

Round 1- Pick 1- Myles Garrett- DE- Texas A&M- 6í4 272, 4.64 Forty Yard Dash, 33 Bench Press Reps, 41 inch vertical: Garrett is the top player in this draft class without a shadow of a doubt. He is the most physically gifted player to enter the NFL nearly half a decade and his only weakness seems to be his somewhat inconsistent motor. Gregg Williams will fix that issue in no time at all. Garrett has Von Miller upside as a pass rusher and the Browns would be foolish to pass over him under any circumstances. He is the star they need next to the space eating Danny Shelton and across from the physically gifted Emmanuel Ogbah. This pick will legitimize the Browns defensive line as one with some of the most upside in the league.

Round 1- Pick 12- Patrick Mahomes- QB- Texas Tech- 6í2 225, 4.80 Forty Yard Dash, 30 inch vertical, 4.08 20 Yard Shuttle: Patrick Mahomes is the quarterback with the highest upside in this class and I am convinced that heís going to be the one true star at the position out of the 2017 class. Not only does he have many desirable traits from an arm perspective (he has the best arm in this class, which was confirmed at the combine), but he is almost the splitting image of Oaklandís Derek Carr coming out of Fresno State. Like Carr, Mahomes played in a spread offense at Texas Tech, and also like Carr, he improved every year and had the best overall arm talent in his respective draft class. Mahomes also approaches the game like Carr, both coming from families that were heavily involved in professional sports. Mahomes has some growing to do in terms of decision making, but heís a legitimate prospect and he would give the Browns a great kid to build around.

Round 2- Pick 33- Obi Melifonwu- SS- UCONN- 6í4 224, 4.40 Forty Time, 44 inch vertical, 141 inch broad jump: Obi Melifonwu is the Myles Garrett of the defensive backfield in this draft class, but he needs to improve a bit on the field and thatís why he is likely ticketed as a day two selection. Gregg Williams utilizes safeties in his offense often, and he needs a guy that is athletic enough to drop back into coverage but big enough to blitz and help in run support. Melifonwu fits the bill. He needs to work on the mental side of the game, and heís caught out of position sometimes. If he can get that in check, heís going to be a real monster as an all-purpose player for the Browns.

Round 2- Pick 52- Budda Baker- FS- Washington- 5í10 195, 4.45 Forty Time, 4.08 20 Yard Shuttle, 6.76 3 Cone Drill: Yes, I have the Browns doubling down on safeties in the second round. I think itís that big of a need. Budda Baker is almost the opposite of Obi Melifonwu. Unlike Melifonwu, Baker is already elite when it comes to having a football mind. Heís a playmaker through and through and would help fix some of the issues the Browns have had with turnover differential. As a high safety, he would give Cleveland a major weapon and make opposing offenses think about using the deep ball much less often. A combination of Baker and Melifonwu gives the Browns a duo of explosive athletes that have playmaking ability in their defensive backfield.

Round 3- Pick 65- Zay Jones- WR- East Carolina- 6í2 201, 4.45 Forty Time, 133 inch Broad Jump, 11.17 60 Yard Shuttle: I think there is a good chance Jones is gone here, but there are a lot of receivers in the second tier in this class and Jones fits that bill. If there is a run on receivers, though, he could be gone as early as the top half of round two. Jones is a Chad Johnson clone, and that isnít an exaggeration. He is a somewhat average athlete that survives on intangibles and being smarter and savvier than his opponent. With the departure of Terrelle Pryor, the Browns need to groom a number two receiver behind Kenny Britt and Corey Coleman. They may have that player on the roster with Ricardo Louis or Rashard Higgins, but they had very up and down rookie years and their presence shouldnít affect a player like Zay Jones. Jones would give the Browns another weapon for their young quarterback and could contribute immediately based on his play style.

Round 4- Pick 108- Jake Butt- TE- Michigan- 6í5 246: If it werenít for a late season injury, Jake Butt would be a potential first round pick. As it is, though, Butt will likely have to sit out a large portion of the 2017 season and his draft stock has taken a major hit because of it. The Browns, however, have enough draft picks to take Butt and not look back. Heís a legitimate weapon at the tight end position and while 2016 4th rounder, Seth DeValve, had some very impressive moments as a rookie, the NFL is becoming a two Tight End league. With Gary Barnidge regressing drastically in 2016 after his breakout season, DeValve and Butt could potentially be an explosive combination in his stead.

Round 5- Pick 145- Corn Elder- CB- Miami (FL)- 5í10 183, 4.55 Forty Time: Corn Elder is short and a bit on the slower side for cornerbacks, but the kid can flat out play football. Sometimes you have to trust the tape and your gut on a player. Elder may be a better fit as a safety in some schemes, but the violence he brings to the cornerback position is going to scare opposing receivers each week. Not only is Elder one of the more physical cornerbacks I have seen as a tackler, but he seems to enjoy it. After Joe Hadenís regression, the Browns need to develop another guy across from Jamar Taylor. Elder may be a bit undersized for the outside, but donít tell him that.

Round 5- Pick 175- Charles Walker- DT- Oklahoma- 6í2 310, 4.96 Forty Time, 25 Bench Press Reps: You may recognize Walkerís name for a very bad reason, he quit football mid-season last year to prepare for the NFL Draft. This put him in an incredibly awkward situation with the media and a lot of people essentially wrote him off after this. I have not. At this point in the draft, Walker will likely be one of the top talents available. And since the Browns have so many draft picks, it only makes sense to take the best player available, even if that guy has some baggage. Without the off-field drama, Walker is a late 2nd or 3rd round prospect. The Browns get a steal here at a discount.

Round 5- Pick 181- Jamaal Williams- RB- BYU- 6í 212, 4.59 Forty Time, 4.53 20 Yard Shuttle, 123 inch Broad Jump: Williams isnít exactly dynamic, but he has enough vision and athleticism to warrant a pick in the 5th round. There isnít a ton to love about him, but itís also hard to find a lot of issues in his game. Heís just a solid back, and those guys make it in todayís NFL. He isnít going to be Adrian Peterson, but there is no reason he canít be a Spencer Ware type player.

Round 6- Pick 185- Ben Boulware- LB- Clemson- 6í 238, 20 Bench Press Reps, 4.43 20 Yard Shuttle: Boulware is a guy that is all heart, and as a backup linebacker, that can be enough if you are smart. He definitely is smart. The Clemson product is likely going to be a backup at all three spots in a 4-3 scheme, but heís going to be a valuable piece of this rebuilding unit. Even though heís a below average athlete, he works hard to make big plays. You can see this even in the National Championship Game. He is just mentally tough and I think thatíll keep him in the league for a long time.

Round 6- Pick 188- Conor McDermott- OT- UCLA- 6í8 307, 7.52 3 cone drill, 4.58 20 Yard Shuttle: McDermottís draft stock didnít soar like I expected it, but the more you watch his tape the more fundamental flaws you see in his game. He needs to get stronger. He hasnít grown into his body yet and looks like a big tight end instead of an offensive lineman. Some of this was because he put on size quickly and didnít gain the strength with it. A year or two of NFL conditioning should fix this, but itíll take him some time to get on a field. Heís a great athlete, and heís going to be a solid down field blocker, but until he gets stronger he is essentially useless on the field.

2017 Depth Chart (Week 1)

QB- 1. Cody Kessler 2. Patrick Mahomes 3. Kevin Hogan
    RB- 1. Isaiah Crowell 2. Duke Johnson 3. Jamaal Williams 4. Darius Jackson
    FB- 1. Dan Vitale
    XWR- 1. Kenny Britt 2. Zay Jones
    YWR- 1. Corey Coleman 2. Ricardo Louis
    SWR- 1. Rashad Higgins 2. Mario Alford
    TE- 1. Gary Barnidge 2. Seth DeValve 3. Jake Butt
    LT- 1. Joe Thomas
    LG- 1. Joel Bitonio
    C- 1. J.C. Tretter 2. Austin Reiter
    RG- 1. Kevin Zeitler 2. John Greco
    RT- 1. Shon Coleman 2. Cameron Erving 3. Conor McDermott (PS)

DE- 1. Myles Garrett 2. Carl Nassib
    NT- 1. Danny Shelton 2. Jamie Meder
    DT- 1. Desmond Bryant 2. Charles Walker
    DE- 1. Emmanuel Ogbah 2. Nate Orchard
    WLB- 1. Christian Kirksey 2. Dominique Alexander
    MLB- 1. Jamie Collins 2. Ben Boulware
    SLB- 1. Demario Davis 2. Joe Schobert
    CB- 1. Jamar Taylor 2. Corn Elder
    CB- 1. Joe Haden 2. Tracy Howard
    NCB- 1. Briean Boddy-Calhoun 2.Marcus Burley
    FS- 1. Budda Baker 2. Ed Reynolds
    SS- 1. Obi Melifonwu 2. Derrick Kindred 3. Justin Currie

K- 1. Cody Parkey
    P- 1. Britton Colquitt
    KR- 1. Mario Alford 2. Darius Jackson
    PR- 1. Mario Alford 2. Corey Coleman

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Chillzilla For This Useful Post:

Diehard (03-19-2017), GratefulDawg (03-19-2017), The Brookster (03-19-2017), t~dawg (03-19-2017), zipazoid (03-19-2017)

24/7 HS FB Commissioner The Brookster's Avatar
    Cleveland Browns Cleveland Indians Ohio State Buckeyes
    Chill, you have just proven once again that you are the elite of 24/7. If these 11 players actually do join the Browns for the 2017 campaign - wow. Notice was just served in The Jungle, at the Big Ketchup Bottle, and at The Rat House - pushovers no more. You all had your time - now payback is a comin' - and it's with a vengeance. The 98lb weakling that you used to kick sand at has grown up to be the stud of the beach.

Myles Garrett - If there is a bigger no brainer in this draft, I would like to meet him. I don't care if he isn't a QB - he is a franchise changer. Gregg Williams is going to LOVE his skill set.

Pat Mahomes - I really believe that the hype surrounding Trubisky, Watson, and Kizer is more of a media creation than what is actually inside the building at 76 Lou Groza Blvd. I am still stunned at the similarities between Pat and the gunslinger from the land of cheese and suds when I watched their tapes back to back. Will Pat's "wildness" cause some issues? Maybe. But dontcha think that it is better to rein in that wildness, and yet still have it in your back pocket than to not have that capability at all? You make this pick every day of the week that ends in a "y" - and walk away confident that the 17 year search is OVER. Bury that mother. Book it.

Obi Melifonwu
    - An absolutely vital piece to a Gregg Williams defense. When I watched his tape and Senior Bowl, the first thing that JUMPED at me was his physicality. Exactly the trait you value most in a strong safety. A big, ugly enforcer with a pissed off attitude on Sundays. He is the kind of enforcer that will knock that sneaky smug assed giggly face right off of Antonio Brown. Cleat this, motherf***ker! Think Ronnie Lott, people.

Budda Baker - If Obi is the "Batman" of the secondary, here is your "Robin". Oh, you say you need validation of his ball hawking skills? Look at the conference he played in, look at the stellar passing attacks there, and yet Budda excelled. I think Obi and Budda will go together like peanut butter and jelly, like macaroni and cheese, and like Frank and Hanford. The Dawg Pound is going to love these two.

Zay Jones - Time to turn our attention back to the offense. After whiffing on the selection of Zay Jones' teammate (Justin Hardy - no, I'm not still pissed...) from a couple of seasons ago - the Browns don't let Zay slip any further. NFL size and speed in a Hue Jackson offense? Color me surprised if Zay would not have at least a few breakout games to announce his arrival on the NFL scene. I am still holding out hope for Ricardo Louis - with Britt, Coleman and Zay - this can be a feared unit.

Jake Butt - This has to be termed the ultimate value pick. This kid SHOULD have been a Buckeye - growing up in the shadows of Ohio Stadium. He would have been the right player with the right skill set at the right time for the Buckeyes. Now the Browns will hop all over this skill set to augment their aerial attack. Spot on, Chill - today's NFL you need 2 quality receiving TEs, not an extra OL that happens to be wearing a jersey that starts with an 8 like it was 1970.

Corn Elder - Loved your analysis, Chill. Think Frank Minnifield, folks. If I am in the room when anyone is ballsy enough to tell this kid he's too small - I am taking a step back, because the shit is going to fly. Watch his tape - the boy can ball - and that is all we need.

Charles Walker - I will gladly defer to your knowledge on this one Chill. As much as we would have wanted to see him play a full season, you cannot honestly fault him for removing the possibility of a career ending injury before he even makes it to an NFL roster. A true second or third round talent in the fifth round? That's taking advantage of a gift to improve your football team.

Jamaal Williams - BYU plays a wide open passing attack. But do you know what is a key component that makes that offense go? A strong, consistent running game - aka Jamal Williams. I have lost count over the years and across several sports of how many guys were not stars, just steady players with exceptional work ethics, that ended up being vital pieces of the makeup of successful teams. I remember coaching one young man (8th grade), in particular many years ago. At the banquet, I remember tears welling up in my eyes as I told him and his parents how proud I was of him and what he had meant to our team. EVERY team can use leaders like that.

Ben Boulware - Any kid of his size that makes it in the NFL will be because of heart and instincts. He's our next kamikaze on special teams.

Conor McDermott - With a number of immediate needs addressed in the draft and free agency, the Browns are free to look to developmental players for the future. Conor fits that bill. Yes he will need to put in some work, but this is what practice squads were designed for. If he gets out of the practice squad what he puts in to it - the Browns may be pleasantly surprised.
    Last edited by The Brookster; 03-19-2017 at 12:48 PM.

A NEW DAY IS DAWNING!
    Sashi 2017: "We laid the foundation - let the rebuild commence!"

4. The Following User Says Thank You to The Brookster For This Useful Post:

Chillzilla (03-19-2017)

Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by The Brookster View Post
    Chill, you have just proven once again that you are the elite of 24/7. If these 11 players actually do join the Browns for the 2017 campaign - wow. Notice was just served in The Jungle, at the Big Ketchup Bottle, and at The Rat House - pushovers no more. You all had your time - now payback is a comin' - and it's with a vengeance. The 98lb weakling that you used to kick sand at has grown up to be the stud of the beach.

Myles Garrett - If there is a bigger no brainer in this draft, I would like to meet him. I don't care if he isn't a QB - he is a franchise changer. Gregg Williams is going to LOVE his skill set.

Pat Mahomes - I really believe that the hype surrounding Trubisky, Watson, and Kizer is more of a media creation than what is actually inside the building at 76 Lou Groza Blvd. I am still stunned at the similarities between Pat and the gunslinger from the land of cheese and suds when I watched their tapes back to back. Will Pat's "wildness" cause some issues? Maybe. But dontcha think that it is better to rein in that wildness, and yet still have it in your back pocket than to not have that capability at all? You make this pick every day of the week that ends in a "y" - and walk away confident that the 17 year search is OVER. Bury that mother. Book it.

Obi Melifonwu
    - An absolutely vital piece to a Gregg Williams defense. When I watched his tape and Senior Bowl, the first thing that JUMPED at me was his physicality. Exactly the trait you value most in a strong safety. A big, ugly enforcer with a pissed off attitude on Sundays. He is the kind of enforcer that will knock that sneaky smug assed giggly face right off of Antonio Brown. Cleat this, motherf***ker! Think Ronnie Lott, people.

Budda Baker - If Obi is the "Batman" of the secondary, here is your "Robin". Oh, you say you need validation of his ball hawking skills? Look at the conference he played in, look at the stellar passing attacks there, and yet Budda excelled. I think Obi and Budda will go together like peanut butter and jelly, like macaroni and cheese, and like Frank and Hanford. The Dawg Pound is going to love these two.

Zay Jones - Time to turn our attention back to the offense. After whiffing on the selection of Zay Jones' teammate (Justin Hardy - no, I'm not still pissed...) from a couple of seasons ago - the Browns don't let Zay slip any further. NFL size and speed in a Hue Jackson offense? Color me surprised if Zay would not have at least a few breakout games to announce his arrival on the NFL scene. I am still holding out hope for Ricardo Louis - with Britt, Coleman and Zay - this can be a feared unit.

Jake Butt - This has to be termed the ultimate value pick. This kid SHOULD have been a Buckeye - growing up in the shadows of Ohio Stadium. He would have been the right player with the right skill set at the right time for the Buckeyes. Now the Browns will hop all over this skill set to augment their aerial attack. Spot on, Chill - today's NFL you need 2 quality receiving TEs, not an extra OL that happens to be wearing a jersey that starts with an 8 like it was 1970.

Corn Elder - Loved your analysis, Chill. Think Frank Minnifield, folks. If I am in the room when anyone is ballsy enough to tell this kid he's too small - I am taking a step back, because the shit is going to fly. Watch his tape - the boy can ball - and that is all we need.

Charles Walker - I will gladly defer to your knowledge on this one Chill. As much as we would have wanted to see him play a full season, you cannot honestly fault him for removing the possibility of a career ending injury before he even makes it to an NFL roster. A true second or third round talent in the fifth round? That's taking advantage of a gift to improve your football team.

Jamaal Williams - BYU plays a wide open passing attack. But do you know what is a key component that makes that offense go? A strong, consistent running game - aka Jamal Williams. I have lost count over the years and across several sports of how many guys were not stars, just steady players with exceptional work ethics, that ended up being vital pieces of the makeup of successful teams. I remember coaching one young man (8th grade), in particular many years ago. At the banquet, I remember tears welling up in my eyes as I told him and his parents how proud I was of him and what he had meant to our team. EVERY team can use leaders like that.

Ben Boulware - Any kid of his size that makes it in the NFL will be because of heart and instincts. He's our next kamikaze on special teams.

Conor McDermott - With a number of immediate needs addressed in the draft and free agency, the Browns are free to look to developmental players for the future. Conor fits that bill. Yes he will need to put in some work, but this is what practice squads were designed for. If he gets out of the practice squad what he puts in to it - the Browns may be pleasantly surprised.
    Great analysis, Brooks! And thanks for the kind words as always.

Cleveland Browns Ohio State Buckeyes NULL
    That be a pretty damn good draft. I think a few are stretches that they'll still be there where we are picking them.....but you never know what can happen.

Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by Diehard View Post
    That be a pretty damn good draft. I think a few are stretches that they'll still be there where we are picking them.....but you never know what can happen.
    I basically averaged out positions based on a few draft boards for this one. Wanted it to hopefully be as legit as possible. The only guy that wasn't around based on the averages was Jones (a few were under 5 picks ahead or behind in the rankings). I agree, though. Elder was one I didn't expect to be there but his stock took a slight hit after the combine.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Chillzilla For This Useful Post:

Diehard (03-20-2017)

24/7 HS FB Commissioner The Brookster's Avatar
    Cleveland Browns Cleveland Indians Ohio State Buckeyes
    Dude - you post at 4:10 am ??? The only time i am awake then is when i wake up to take a piss.

A NEW DAY IS DAWNING!
    Sashi 2017: "We laid the foundation - let the rebuild commence!"

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to The Brookster For This Useful Post:

Chillzilla (03-20-2017), zipazoid (03-20-2017)

Cleveland Browns Kent State Golden Flashes Auburn Tigers
    Dude - you post at 4:10 am ??? The only time i am awake then is when i wake up to take a piss.
    Hey, he's 22. When I was that age I was just coming home from the bars in Kent at 4am.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to zipazoid For This Useful Post:

Chillzilla (03-20-2017), The Brookster (03-21-2017)

Cleveland Browns Toronto Blue Jays Toronto Raptors
    Chill was working hard studying all night then he came here to post. Sheesh. LOL

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DawgUpNorth For This Useful Post:

Chillzilla (03-20-2017), The Brookster (03-21-2017)

Gamer IDs

Lol the best time to work is when nobody is awake to bother me.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by zipazoid View Post
    Hey, he's 22. When I was that age I was just coming home from the bars in Kent at 4am.
    Haha I usually come home from the bars at about 3, open up about 6 more beers, and watch tape hahaha.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by DawgUpNorth View Post
    Chill was working hard studying all night then he came here to post. Sheesh. LOL
    Always

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Chillzilla For This Useful Post:

zipazoid (03-20-2017)

Cleveland Browns Cleveland Indians Montreal Canadiens
    Round 1- Pick 12- Patrick Mahomes- QB- Texas Tech- 6’2 225, 4.80 Forty Yard Dash, 30 inch vertical, 4.08 20 Yard Shuttle: Patrick Mahomes is the quarterback with the highest upside in this class and I am convinced that he’s going to be the one true star at the position out of the 2017 class. Not only does he have many desirable traits from an arm perspective (he has the best arm in this class, which was confirmed at the combine), but he is almost the splitting image of Oakland’s Derek Carr coming out of Fresno State. Like Carr, Mahomes played in a spread offense at Texas Tech, and also like Carr, he improved every year and had the best overall arm talent in his respective draft class. Mahomes also approaches the game like Carr, both coming from families that were heavily involved in professional sports. Mahomes has some growing to do in terms of decision making, but he’s a legitimate prospect and he would give the Browns a great kid to build around.

I like the kid and agree with all the above as a sound analysis but, I think it might be smart if he's going to be our target QB in round one; that maybe we should do a "trade-down" to later in the first round especially if we can grab another 2nd round pick plus a middle round pick. Furthermore, I still like O.J. Howard, TE at #12 and think Hue does (my guess here). I also think DeValve could be turned into a big WR target or H back guy with his size/speed combo. I don't like Corn Elder pick. I think we could do better with that pick. And, Chillie not to sound patronizing, as always you do come up with some excellent mocks. Thanks for this one it is very insightful and well thought out. Finally, I still think we will be searching for that QB in 2018.........there's some quality QB talent coming and possibly more NFL ready talent than this year. jmho
    Last edited by stabber27; 03-21-2017 at 04:43 AM.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to stabber27 For This Useful Post:

Chillzilla (03-21-2017)