Page 17 of 21 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 ... LastLast
    Cleveland Browns Ohio State Buckeyes Michigan State Spartans
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Bill Gorgonzola PSN ID: ChilllZillla
    The Browns hosted free agent SS Bradley McDougald.
    With Derrick Kindred and Ed Reynolds currently sitting atop the depth chart, the Browns need help at safety. They missed on Tony Jefferson in wave one of free agency. McDougald is a 26-year-old box safety with man-coverage experience against tight ends. He's been a starter in Tampa Bay the past two-plus years.
    Back, but did I ever truly leave?
    "Johnny Idiotface over there is never going to bring you a title!" -Seth Rollins, the best in the world.

Cleveland- home to the dumbest self appointed "smartest fans in the NFL!"

Gamer IDs

He'd be a nice pickup.
    "Johnny Idiotface over there is never going to bring you a title!" -Seth Rollins, the best in the world.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Chillzilla For This Useful Post:

FrostDawg231 (03-20-2017)

Gamer IDs

McDougald ranked the 42nd best safety in the NFL last year according to Pro Football Focus. But the good thing is, he was at least average in both coverage and run support. He isn't great at either, but competent at both. Was actually only ranked one spot ahead of Ed Reynolds, but he played a lot more snaps so that should be overlooked a bit.

Cleveland Browns Kent State Golden Flashes Auburn Tigers
    Hope we target Safety in the draft. Early.

Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by zipazoid View Post
    Hope we target Safety in the draft. Early.
    Agreed, definitely.

The thing with McDougald at least is that defensive players, no matter how good, always underperform in Tampa Bay. So he may actually be much better than he showed there.

24/7 HS FB Commissioner The Brookster's Avatar
    Cleveland Browns Cleveland Indians Ohio State Buckeyes
    Just a thought here - Gregg Williams' free safety with the Rams, T.J. McDonald, is a UDFA. I know he had a few off the field concerns, and maybe that is playing into it - but we have not heard a peep about a possible reunion there.

A NEW DAY IS DAWNING!
    Sashi 2017: "We laid the foundation - let the rebuild commence!"

Josh McCown cashes in with the Jets

Posted by Mike Florio on March 20, 2017, 8:14 PM EDT

Getty Images
    In theory, it may have made more sense for Josh McCown to serve as the backup to Dak Prescott in Dallas instead of becoming the Week One starter on a weak roster that is too deep into a rebuild for a 37-year-old quarterback to realize any sigificant benefits. But theory doesn’t further feather the nest.

McCown will make at least $6 million guaranteed in 2017 with the Jets, an amount that is surely much larger than what the Cowboys would have paid. (It also matches the amount the Browns were due to pay McCown this year.) McCown also can make an extra $2 million based on playing time, and another $5 million based on team accomplishments.

Albert Breer of TheMMQB.com reports that McCown will make $125,000 for each game in which he takes more than 50 percent of the snaps. He can also make an extra $2 million if the Jets qualify for the playoffs, another $1.5 million if the Jets make it to Super Bowl LII, and another $1.5 million if they win it.

In other words, McCown can make another $2 million based on playing time.

It’s still a great deal for McCown, who instantly ocuppies the top spot of the depth chart, and who can add $125,000 for each game that he holds that spot.

In contrast, the Cowboys are paying Kellen Moore $775,000 for the full season.

It’s also a pretty good deal for the Jets, given that they paid twice as much last year for a starter who did half of what he did the prior year. And it means that, barring a serious injury to McCown during the offseason program or trianing camp, they won’t be pursuing Jay Cutler, Colin Kaepernick, or any other veteran quarterback who would cost more than the league minimum.

good deal for McCown, congrats on that. I'm surprised the Jets would not go after Cutler, since he's a bit younger, then sign Josh as a backup, then draft a QB, if they get the chance, which I think they will.

I'm surprised Cutler is still available, would, at least, make a solid backup. Then again, probably cost too much to sign him and then use him as a backup.

As for Safety, I certainly hope we draft a good one early on.

24/7 HS FB Commissioner The Brookster's Avatar
    Cleveland Browns Cleveland Indians Ohio State Buckeyes
    Quote Originally Posted by rab View Post
    I'm surprised Cutler is still available.
    Lemme clue you in with 2 short words...........

He. SUCKS.

A NEW DAY IS DAWNING!
    Sashi 2017: "We laid the foundation - let the rebuild commence!"

12. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to The Brookster For This Useful Post:

Cheffie (03-21-2017), Chillzilla (03-21-2017), DawgUpNorth (03-21-2017), t~dawg (03-21-2017)