Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Tyrod Taylor

Cleveland Browns Ohio State Buckeyes NULL

Tyrod Taylor

ESPN Browns reporter Pat McManamon expects Cleveland to target Tyrod Taylor if he's released by the Bills.
    Taylor is fully expected to be released by Buffalo, and ESPN Bills reporter Mike Rodak reiterated it on Tuesday. The Bills brought in new coach Sean McDermott and are overhauling the coaching staff, while GM Doug Whaley has never seemed to be a big fan of Taylor after ex-coach Rex Ryan handpicked him and started him over Whaley's bust, E.J. Manuel. Taylor will have no shortage of suitors once he's free. He'd be a fine match in Cleveland with Hue Jackson.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Diehard For This Useful Post:

FrostDawg231 (01-22-2017)

Cleveland Browns Ohio State Buckeyes Michigan State Spartans
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Bill Gorgonzola PSN ID: ChilllZillla
    I'd be okay with this.

Gamer IDs

I'd say that if we can get him as a free agent, it'd be a really nice move. You eliminate the need to draft or trade for a guy this year. We have to be smart about his contract, though. If we draft front heavy on defense, our offensive line comes back healthy, some guys that showed well continue to improve, it could be a relatively quick turnaround.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Chillzilla For This Useful Post:

zipazoid (01-18-2017)

Cleveland Browns Kent State Golden Flashes Auburn Tigers
    Ya know, the more I think about it the more I come to the conclusion that there's not much of a difference in starting QBs in this league. Honestly. The only tangible difference is the supporting cast around the QB. You don't see bad teams w good QBs or good teams with bad ones.

Now I realize this is a chicken/egg argument - did the good QB make the team good/did the bad QB make the team bad? I don't think so. Look no further than Dallas & Cleveland this year for the lab experiment. Prescott & Kessler. Praise for the 4th-round pick who purportedly "led" his team to the playoffs when in reality he was inserted into a good team. Kessler not even mentioned due to getting beaten up behind a substandard OL. Is Prescott really better than Kessler? I don't think so.

So Taylor. Will he alone raise the Browns to the playoffs? No. Not a chance. But if he were on, say, Seattle? Yes, probably.

The moral: Build the damn team. Then you'll see how good the QB becomes.

Quote Originally Posted by zipazoid View Post
    Ya know, the more I think about it the more I come to the conclusion that there's not much of a difference in starting QBs in this league. Honestly. The only tangible difference is the supporting cast around the QB. You don't see bad teams w good QBs or good teams with bad ones.

Now I realize this is a chicken/egg argument - did the good QB make the team good/did the bad QB make the team bad? I don't think so. Look no further than Dallas & Cleveland this year for the lab experiment. Prescott & Kessler. Praise for the 4th-round pick who purportedly "led" his team to the playoffs when in reality he was inserted into a good team. Kessler not even mentioned due to getting beaten up behind a substandard OL. Is Prescott really better than Kessler? I don't think so.

So Taylor. Will he alone raise the Browns to the playoffs? No. Not a chance. But if he were on, say, Seattle? Yes, probably.

I would argue that Tom Brady has done a very good job making cast off's and unknowns look really good over the years. To a certain degree so has Aaron Rodgers.

Gamer IDs

This could end up being the best case scenario. We eliminate QB from our needs, give Cody more time to develop. You have Tyrod, Cody, maybe a late round pick too. The whole draft can go to filling holes in that we didn't last year and now you don't have to worry about taking another QB in the first 4+ rounds unless somebody you really like falls.

The way we are built is actually a solid fit for him.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by ParmaDawg View Post
    I would argue that Tom Brady has done a very good job making cast off's and unknowns look really good over the years. To a certain degree so has Aaron Rodgers.
    Of course the top guys can do that, that's what makes them special. Eliminate the outliers in this.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Chillzilla For This Useful Post:

zipazoid (01-18-2017)

24/7 HS FB Commissioner The Brookster's Avatar
    Cleveland Browns Cleveland Indians Ohio State Buckeyes
    Quote Originally Posted by Chillzilla View Post
    I'd say that if we can get him as a free agent, it'd be a really nice move. You eliminate the need to draft or trade for a guy this year. We have to be smart about his contract, though. If we draft front heavy on defense, our offensive line comes back healthy, some guys that showed well continue to improve, it could be a relatively quick turnaround.
    It's also called reaching for a player of overinflated value.

Quote Originally Posted by zipazoid View Post

Jer - I'ma smack you..... What have I told you in the past acout making sense????

That is why those two are special players. Like him or not - Tom Brady was the greatest sixth round pick in the history of the NFL Draft.

A NEW DAY IS DAWNING!
    From Stabber's Browns' Bible
    In John we trust (12:7)

Cleveland Browns Kent State Golden Flashes Auburn Tigers
    Two future hall of famers. But you know what both have that we don't? One, protection. Both have ample time to do their jobs (which they do very well). Two, solid defenses so that they're not always entering games tied or down. When you're operating with a lead & got time in the pocket, average QBs look good & good QBs look great. If they don't have those two things, good QBs look like trash.

Here's the crux of my point - I really don't think there is that much a difference in the best v the worst QBs in the league - they all come from successful college careers where they excelled & thus were drafted to do it in the pros. They're all coached up. Professional is professional. And Tom Brady is not much more of a "professional" than, well, Tyrod Taylor is. They're just much more fortunate to have landed in the right system. Right now, the Browns are not the right system to excel in - FIVE starting QBs in ONE season. And if any of them were Aaron Rodgers or Tom Brady, they'd be on IR.
    Last edited by zipazoid; 01-18-2017 at 02:28 PM.

Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by The Brookster View Post
    It's also called reaching for a player of overinflated value.
    Exactly. Right now I'd say the only quarterbacks who are (CURRENTLY) being valued correctly are Taylor and Mahomes based on what we're seeing. I wouldn't give a first for Garoppolo even though I have been his biggest fan on this site. I wouldn't take Watson in the first round, Kizer in the first round, or Trubisky with the first pick.

This class is shaping up to be similar to 2013 and 2010, more like 2013 because we don't have a Cam Newton in this class. Guys are going to be reached upon because of need and ego and I DON'T want us to be one of those teams.

Taylor is the way we avoid that and also improve a hell of a lot faster.
    Last edited by Chillzilla; 01-18-2017 at 02:26 PM.

24/7 HS FB Commissioner The Brookster's Avatar
    Cleveland Browns Cleveland Indians Ohio State Buckeyes
    The thing that you MUST be cognizant of is the 2018 QB class will be headlined by Sam Darnold (USC - Pac 12), Josh Rosen (UCLA - Pac 12), and Jake Browning (Washington - Pac 12).

Plus toss in Luke Falk (Washington State - Pac 12) and Josh Allen (Wyoming - Mountain West) and you realize the QB class will be much better than this year's crop.

So use you 2017 picks to build as dominating a defense as you can.
    Last edited by The Brookster; 01-18-2017 at 05:25 PM.

A NEW DAY IS DAWNING!
    From Stabber's Browns' Bible
    In John we trust (12:7)

14. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to The Brookster For This Useful Post:

DawgUpNorth (01-18-2017), FrostDawg231 (01-22-2017), rab (01-18-2017), zipazoid (01-18-2017)